There are various reasons why you would need to hide the ribbon bar, this includes having a better view of the document you are working on or just having a cleaner workspace. Whatever the reason it is easy to hide the top ribbon in a word online document. This tutorial article takes you through How to hide ribbon on word online.
To hide the top ribbon of a document on word online you will need to click on the downward-facing arrow. This arrow is located on the right of the top ribbon. From the dropdown menu choose Automatically hide. The Ribbon can be accessed by hovering the mouse over the ribbon.
How to hide ribbon on word online?
Here is how you can hide the ribbon on Word Online.
- Login to Office online, click on Word, and open the document you would like to edit. Documents created and saved on Word online are saved on One Drive. You can log in to one drive to access these documents.
- Go to the top ribbon of the document once it’s open.
- You will see a downward-facing arrow on the extreme right. Click on it for a dropdown menu.
- From the options under the show, ribbon section click on and select Automatically Hide.
- A tick on the side indicates selection.
The top ribbon will hide and you will see only the document. If you need to access the top ribbon all you need to do is hover the mouse in the area and it will appear.
Read How to turn off autocorrect in Microsoft Word online
How do I show the ribbon in Word Online?
If you would like to show the ribbon bar in your word online documents here are the steps you can follow.
- Start by log in to Office online and open the word online document you would like to work on.
- Once the document is open hover over the empty space over the document.
- Click on the downward-facing arrow on the extreme right of the ribbon. You will have a dropdown menu.
- Go to the Show ribbon section and click on Always show.
Remember these changes can be reversed at any time. Till then the ribbon bar will show at the top.
Read How do u make a bar graph on Microsoft word online?
How to hide the ribbon bar in Microsoft Word on Mac?
When it comes to the desktop version of Word here is how you can hide the top ribbon in documents.
- Locate and open the word document you would like to edit. Click on Finder and you will be able to locate the documents saved on your system.
- Once the document is open go to the top bar on your system.
- Click on View for a dropdown menu
- From the options available click on Ribbon.
- The top ribbon in the document will disappear.
You can also use the keyboard shortcut Option + Command + R to hide the ribbon bar.
Read How to copy paste graph from excel to word online
How to show the ribbon bar in Microsoft Word on Mac?
Here are the steps you can follow if you want to see the ribbon bar in Word for Mac.
- Locate and open the document you would like to edit.
- Go to View in the top bar on your system.
- You will have a dropdown menu with options to choose from.
- Click on Ribbon.
- The top ribbon will appear in your word document.
- A tick will appear near the Ribbon option in the menu.
Alternatively, you can use the keyboard shortcut Option + Command + R to show the ribbon bar.
Read How to make all periods bigger on word online
How to collapse the Ribbon to get more space on the screen in Windows?
If you are using Word on your Windows system and need to collapse the top ribbon here are the steps to follow.
- Go to Explore and look for the document you would like to edit.
- Click on the downward-facing arrow to the right of the ribbon. Select collapse ribbon.
Another way of collapsing the top ribbon in Word for Windows is by using the right-click menu. Here is how it’s done.
- Right-click anywhere on the top ribbon of the document
- From the options click on Collapse the ribbon. The ribbon will be hidden.
Finally, you can collapse the ribbon in your word document using keyboard shortcuts. Use the combination Ctrl + F1 and the top ribbon of the document will collapse. If you want to remove the entire ribbon you will need to use the combination Ctrl + Shift + F1.
Read How to put a circle in Word online
How to show the Ribbon to get more space on the screen in Windows?
Here are the steps you can follow if you want to show the ribbon in your Word document in Windows.
- Locate and open the file you would like to edit.
- Once the file is open you can open a dropdown menu using the downward-facing arrow in the ribbon.
- Here you will find the collapse ribbon option. click on it to uncheck.
- You can also use the right-click menu when it comes to showing the ribbon bar.
- Right-click on the top ribbon of the document and you will have a menu.
- From the menu uncheck Collapse the Ribbon.
The ribbon bar in the document can be made visible using the keyboard. Use the combination Ctrl +F1. Use the combination Ctrl + Shift + F1 if you have closed the ribbon and need to make it visible again.
Read How to change all caps to lowercase in word online?
What are the other ribbon display options in word online?
If you do not want the ribbon to appear in the document while reviewing you can always change the view to print or web. This way you will not be distracted by the ribbon bar. In word online you have the Reading view. To activate the reading view Go to view in the top ribbon > click on reading view
On Mac and Windows, you can use the Focus option under view. The number of words shown per page will increase when in the Web layout mode but it will not eliminate the ribbon.
The ribbon bar or the top ribbon in documents is extremely useful as all the formatting and editing tools are nested there. This bar though helpful reduces how much of the document you see.
This tutorial article took you through how to hide or show the ribbon on word online. It also looked at how to show or hide the ribbon on Mac and Windows.
if you liked this tutorial article and found it useful check out similar articles here.
- How to undo on word online
- How to change the file name on word online
- start page numbers on page 2 word online
- How to print addresses on envelopes on word online
- How to insert captions in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.