You can easily add graphs to Microsoft word online documents without having to master Excel or sophisticated tools. This tutorial article takes you through How do u make a bar graph on Microsoft word online and also looks at how to add other graph types.
To add a bar graph into a word online document start by downloading the desktop version. Once the document is open click on Insert in the top ribbon. You will then see the Charts option. Click on it for a dropdown menu. Now click on the type of chart you would like to add. Insert the content and you are good to go.
Can you make graphs in Word Online?
It is not possible to add a graph to a word online document but there is a way around it. You can create a bar graph in Excel and then copy and paste it into the word online document you are working on.
This section takes you through how to add a bar graph in Excel and paste it into a word online document.
- To open Excel you can log in to Office Online and type in your credentials.
- Click on Excel, You will now have Excel open in a new tab on your browser.
- You can either work on an existing document or create a new document.
- Click on Insert in the top ribbon of the Excel sheet.
- In the charts section, you will see the various charts that can be added.
- To add a bar graph click on and select column.
- Choose the format and you will have a graph inserted into the sheet.
- Insert the data required, and format the char using the options in the formatting menu.
Inserting a bar graph into a word online document
- Once the chart is ready you will need to select the chart. This can be done by clicking and dragging across the chart/graph. You can also use keyboard shortcuts to select the chart. Keep the Shift key pressed and more the selection using the arrow keys.
- Once the graph is selected you can copy it. For this Click on Home in the top ribbon of the sheet and click on Copy or right-click and select copy. You can use keyboard shortcuts, Ctrl + C for Windows and Command + C for Mac.
After the graph is created and copied all you need to do is open the word online document you would like to add the graph to. Click on the spot where you need the graph to show up and paste the graph.
To paste Click on Home in the top ribbon and select paste or right-click and select paste. You can also use Ctrl + V on Windows and Command + V on Mac.
Read How to copy paste graph from excel to word online
How do u make a bar graph on Microsoft word online?
To add a bar graph into a word online document it is better to use the desktop version of Word. The desktop version has more editing and formatting tools as compared to the online version. This section takes you through how to add a graph to a word document.
- Locate and open the word document from the folders on your computer.
- Once you have the document open you can start by clicking on the spot where you need to add the bar graph. Clicking on the spot will move the cursor to the spot, this way the graph will show up in the document at the right spot.
- Click on Insert in the top ribbon of the document.
- From the various options available click on Chart. The size of the icon will change depending on the formatting on your ribbon but look got the bar graph symbol.
- Click on Chart for a dropdown menu.
- You will have various options to choose from Column, Line, Pie, Hierarchy, Statistical, XY (Scatter), Waterfall, Combo, and Maps. Click on Column if you would like to add a bar graph to the document.
- Once you click on Column you will have a dropdown menu with different formats to choose from.
- Select the format or design that suits your needs.
Formatting a bar graph in Word
- An Excel sheet will open as a popup window. You will need to add the content that needs to show up on the graph.
- Edit the column names as well as the values
- After you have inserted the values and have specified the columns close the excel sheet.
- The chart will show up on the document.
- You can use the Chart design or format tabs in the top ribbon to make changes to the overall look and feel of the chart.
- If you need to change the color click on the ‘Change Colors’ option.
- From this menu, you can change the type of chart used as well as the layout.
- If you need to change the data, section click on ‘Edit Data in Excel’. The excel sheet with all the data will open and you can make the changes you require.
Read How to convert a word file to PDF for free online
How to make a horizontal bar graph in Word?
Here are the steps you can follow to add a horizontal graph in word.
- Locate and open the document you would like to edit.
- Click on the spot in the document where you would like to insert the graph.
- Go to the Insert tab in the top ribbon of the document.
- Select Chart. You will have a drop-down menu
- Select the horizontal bar graph from the list.
- Your graph will be added to the document.
- Add the data required in the excel sheet.
- Format the graph using the formatting tools available.
- Save and close the document.
Read How to insert a table of content in word online
How to make a vertical bar graph in Word?
Here is how you can insert a vertical bar graph into a Word document.
- Start by opening the Word document, you would like to insert the graph into.
- Click on Insert in the top ribbon of the document
- Go to Charts. You will have a drop-down menu
- choose the vertical bar graph from the options available.
- Insert the text in the Excel sheet that pops up
- Format the graph as per your requirements.
- Save and close the word document.
Read How to set default font in word online
How do you insert a graph in Word Mobile?
Like the online version of Word, you cannot add graphs to word documents on an Android or iOS mobile. You will need to create the chart using Excel for mobile, copy the bar graph and then paste it into the word online document. Here is how it’s done.
- Download Excel for mobile
- Add a bar graph to the sheet from the insert menu
- Edit the content and format the bar graph based on your requirements.
- Now select the graph
- Open the word online document from the Word for mobile application
- Paste the bar graph into the document
As word online does not have all the formatting and editing tools it is not possible to create a bar graph in word online. This being said you can create a graph in Excel and paste it into the word online document.
When it comes to the desktop version you can easily create and edit bar graphs. All you need to do is go to insert and click on Charts. Add the data using excel > use the formatting tools to beautify and tailor it to your requirements.
Hope you found this tutorial article helpful. Check out similar articles here.
- How to share word documents online
- How to save a Microsoft word document online?
- insert screenshots in word online
- How to insert a cover page in word online
- How to merge cells in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.