Autocorrect is a great tool to use when creating and editing documents. It helps edit minor typos on the go making it convenient while working on documents. But, sometimes it gets annoying when autocorrect changes things that are meant to be a certain way especially in languages other than English and while coding. This article takes you through how to turn off autocorrect in Microsoft Word online.
To turn off autocorrect in word online documents, you will need to go to Review in the top ribbon. You will then need to click on Editor to the extreme left, Be sure to click on the arrow. Select Autocorrect options. You will then have a popup menu. Uncheck Replace text as you type. Click on ok.
How to turn off autocorrect in Microsoft Word online?
If you looking for ways to turn off autocorrect in Microsoft Word online here are the steps you can follow.
- Login to Office online and open Word online. You will see a list of all the documents created and saved on the drive. Open the document you would like to work on.
- Click on Review in the top ribbon of the document.
- You will have various options in the Review tab. Click on Editor on the left. Be sure to click on the arrow near Editor for a dropdown menu.
- From the options in the menu click and select AutoCorrect options. You will have a popup menu.
- This menu has various options that are pre-ticked. These include Replace text as you type and Capitalize the first letter of sentences.
- Uncheck the box near the Replace text as you type option. This will ensure that the text is flagged off when you make an error but it will not change it automatically.
- Click on OK to save the changes made in the word online document.
How do I turn on AutoCorrect in Word Online?
Here are the steps you can follow to turn on autocorrect in word online.
- Login to word online and open a document that you would like to work on.
- Click on the Review tab in the top ribbon of the document.
- The editor option is located on the left of the tab. You will need to click on the arrow near it for a dropdown menu.
- From the options available click on and select AutoCorrect options.
- Check the box near the ‘Replace text as you type’ by clicking on it.
- Click on OK to save the changes made to the settings.
How to turn off autocorrect in Microsoft Word Mac?
AutoCorrect can sometimes cause inconvenience when you are working with text in another language or when you are entering codes. This makes turning it off important. Here are the steps you can follow to turn off autocorrect in Word for Mac.
- Locate and open the Word document you would like to work on.
- Click on Tools on the top of your screen. You will have a dropdown menu.
- Select Autocorrect options from the list.
- You will now have a popup menu.
- The menu consists of all the rules for autocorrect. You will need to read through all the options and check what you would like to disable.
- The most important option here is Replace text as you type. Uncheck this option. This way you will get a suggestion of the edits to be made to the document but it will not happen automatically as you type the text.
- Exceptions can be specified in the section below the option
- These changes will remain active until you check the boxes again.
How to turn on autocorrect in Microsoft Word Mac?
If you have turned off auto-correct on your mac and would like to turn it on again here are the steps you can follow.
- Locate and open the document you would like to edit.
- Click on Tools
- You will have a dropdown menu select Autocorrect options by clicking on it
- You will have a popup menu
- You will have different autocorrect options including replace text as you type. check this option along with other relevant options.
- You can include exceptions in the section below the option.
- The autocorrect option will now be activated on Word.
How to turn off autocorrect in Microsoft Word on Windows?
Here is how you can turn auto-correct off in Word online on your Windows device.
- Use windows explorer and locate the document you would like to work on.
- Once you have the document open click on File in the top ribbon of the document.
- The file menu will open with an option on the left of the screen. You will then need to click on Options (at the bottom of the menu.
- Click on and select Proofing on the left of the popup menu.
- Go to AutiCorrect options on the right.
- You will have a list of autocorrect options. On the bottom, you will have the option Replace text as you type. Uncheck this option by clicking on it. This way the text will not change while you enter it.
- The changes will remain till you turn it back on.
How to turn on autocorrect in Microsoft Word on Windows?
Here are the steps you can follow to turn on autocorrect on your windows device.
- Locate and open the document that you need to edit.
- Click on File in the top ribbon of the document for the menu.
- At the bottom of the menu, you will see options click on it.
- You will now have a popup menu with options on the left.
- Click on Proofing for additional options on the right
- Select AutoCorrect options
- From the list, select Replace text as you type. The box next to it should have a tick (this shows that it is enabled).
- You can also include specific changes that you would like.
How to turn off and on autocorrect on phones?
When it comes to phones and tablets the autocorrect option is linked directly to the device. Hence, if you need to disable or enable autocorrect for word on your phone you will need to do it from the phone or table settings. Here is how you can do it.
Turning on and off autocorrect on iOS
- Open Settings
- Tap General and go to Keyboard
- Turn on autocorrect
Please note that the autocorrect is on by default.
Turning on and off autocorrect on Android
- Open the Gboard settings this can be accessed by going to settings > System > Language and input > Virtual keyboard and then Gboard
- There will be a gear icon
- Now fo to Text correction under that you will see Auto-correct you can turn it on and off from there.
This tutorial article took you through How to turn off autocorrect in Microsoft Word online. It looked at how this option can be enabled and disabled on Windows as well as on Mac devices. Finally, the article took you through how to turn to autocorrect on and off on phones and tablets.
If you found this article helpful check out similar articles here.
- How to add borders in word online?
- How to move pictures in word online?
- insert shapes in Microsoft word online
- How to delete section break in word online?
- How to add a header in word online?
- change date in footer in Microsoft Word Online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.