Have you written a paper or worked on a document that has multiple pages, an index, cover page, and everything in between? Doesn’t numbering these documents get frustrating? This tutorial aims at reducing that frustration. It takes you through how to start page numbers on page 2 word online.
In word online you can start page numbers from the second page using the Different First Page option. Go to insert in the top ribbon > Select Page Numbers > under options on the Right you will see the Different First Page option. In the desktop version, you can start numbering pages from anywhere in the document.
How to start page numbers on page 2 word online?
While working on Word online you can easily start numbering the document from the second page. This section takes you through all the steps involved in the numbering process.
- Start by logging in to Word online and opening the document you would like to work on.
- Once you have the document open you can go to Insert in the top ribbon of the document.
- Under insert, you will see the Page Numbers menu.
- Click on the Arrow to choose the position of the page numbers.
- Once they are added to the document you are working on you will see a header and footer activated on the document.
- You will see the options menu on the right of the screen.
- Click on options for the dropdown menu
- Here you can choose the Different First Page option.
- By doing this the page numbering of the document will start on the second page.
To remove page numbering in word online, click on Option and select the Remove Page Numbers option.
How to start numbering from a specific page in Word?
When it comes to working on the desktop application of Word, you have more perks. There are more editing and formatting options available. Here is how you can start numbering from a specific page in Word.
It is important to understand that in Word you will need to divide the document into sections in order for you to be able to have different numbering. Here is how it can be done on Mac and Windows.
Numbering in Word for Mac
- To have a new section in Word on Mac click on Layout in the top ribbon of your document.
- Under Layout, you will see the page break option. Click on the arrow next to it for a dropdown menu.
- Go to the section breaks part of the menu
- Select Next Page
By doing this you will add a new section to the document you are working on. To see what section you are on look to the bottom left near the page number. The section will be specified there.
After you have a dedicated section you can add page numbers to the document. Here are the steps to follow.
- Click on the first word on the sentence of the section you need to number.
- You will see the cursor at the spot
- Click on Insert in the top ribbon of the document
- Go to Page number and click on the arrow for a dropdown menu
- Click on and select Page Number
- You will have a popup menu
- Check the position and alignment of the numbers that you are about to insert
- Uncheck Show number on First Page
- Click on Format for more formatting options
- Here you can edit the number format as well as decide if you want to add chapter numbers.
- In the Page Numbering section, you can either continue from the previous section or start numbering from a particular page.
- Once you have made the changes click on OK.
- The numbers will be added to the document.
Numbering in Word for Windows
When it comes to numbers on Windows systems the process is the same. You need to add a section to the document and then add page numbers.
If you are just looking to add numbers from the second page you can use the Different First Page option. Here is how you can add page numbers to the document from a specific page.
- Go to Explorer and look for the document you would like to edit. If the document was created in Word online you will need to download it in order to have it available on the desktop.
- Once you have the document open scan through it and see what pages need to be excluded from the page numbering.
- Once you have a fair idea click on the first word of the page that you need to start numbering from.
- Go to Insert in the top ribbon of the document.
- Click on Page Break you will have a dropdown menu
- Scroll down to the section breaks part and click on Next page.
- You will now have sections created in the document you are working on.
- Go to the first page of the section and click on the first word.
- Once you see the cursor at the spot go to Insert
- Click on Page number. you will have a popup menu
- From here you can format the page numbers to be added to the document.
- Click on Format for more options.
- Here you can specify which page you would like to start numbering from.
- Once done click on OK
How to start page numbers on page 2 word online on Android?
On Android devices here is how you can start numbering pages from the second page of the document.
- Download the Word application for Android from the play store. Login to your account and you will have all the documents created on word online.
- Tap on the document you would like to add page numbers to
- Enable editing
- Go to the editing menu by selecting the pencil option
- Tap on home for more options
- Go to Insert
- Under insert tap on and select page number
- You can choose the format and placement you want to use
- Tap on Options
- Here you can select different first pages.
Your page numbering will start from the second page of the word document in the format you have chosen.
How to start page numbers on page 2 word online on iOS?
Here are the steps you can follow to include page numbers in a word online document on iOS.
- Download the word application for iOS from the store
- Log in using your outlook account and you will have all the documents created and saved using word online.
- Open the document you would like to work on and then Enable editing
- Open the Editing menu by tapping on the option
- Tap on Home for more options, Select Insert, and then Go to Page numbers
- Select the type and position, then Go to options
- Select Different First Page
- Save the changes before exiting.
This tutorial article took you through how to start numbering pages in Word online from the second page. It also looked at how to start numbering from a specific page in your document. Hope you found this article helpful. If you did check out similar articles below.
- How to add a header in word online?
- How to delete section break in word online?
- change the file name on word online
- How to print from word online?
- How to add fonts to word online?
- freely move pictures in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.