There are times when you need to edit the name of the document you are working on. This tutorial article takes you through how to change the file name on word online. It also looks at how to rename documents on Mac and Windows and also on Android and iOS devices.
To change the name of a document on word online you can do it while the document is open by clicking on the name. You can also do it from the folder where the file is saved. All you need to do is click on the three dots near the name or right-click on it. From the menu click on Rename. Now change the file name.
How to change the file name on word online?
If you need to rename a file created using Word online here are the steps you can follow.
- Login to Office online using your credentials and open word online.
- Search for the document you would like to rename.
- The files created and saved on the cloud will show up on the right. Click on the three dots near the name of the document.
- You will have a dropdown menu.
- Go to Open. You will have another menu
- Click on Open File location.
- The one drive folder will open with all the documents saved.
- Find the document you need to rename
- Click on the three dots or right-click on the name. You will have a dropdown menu.
- Select Rename and then type in the new name of the document
- Hit enter to save the name.
This is how to change the file name on word online.
Read How to print addresses on envelopes on word online
How to rename a Word online document?
Rename the word online document when it’s open using these steps.
- Login to word online and double-click on the document you would like to work on
- Over the Top ribbon with all the editing and formatting options, you will see the name of the document.
- Click on it. You will have a dropdown menu
- From here you can change the name and the location of the document.
- Once you have made the changes click on save. You can also use Ctrl + S on Windows and Command + S on Mac to save the document with the new name.
Read How to insert captions in word online
Change the file name on word online using Save as
There is another way you can rename the document. Here is how you can rename a document by using the Save As option.
- Open the document you would like to work on by logging in to Word online
- Click on File in the top ribbon of the document
- Click on Save as
- You will have options on the right
- Click on Rename
- Change the name of the document and hit Enter to save the new name.
Read How to show word online adjustment bar
How to rename a file in Microsoft Word for Windows?
There are different ways in which you can change the name of a word document on a Windows system. Here is an overview
Changing the name of the document from the folder
Here is how you can change the name of a word document from the folder it is saved in.
- Locate the file using the search option. If you know the location of the file you can open it directly.
- Right-click on the file
- Click on Rename
- You will be able to edit the name.
If you click on the name of the document after selecting it, you will be able to edit the name.
Changing the name of the document when the document is open
After you have the file open you can still change the name. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Click on File in the top ribbon of the document
- Go to save as
- Click on the folder the file is saved in
- You will need to click on the file and create a new one.
- You can then delete the original file after closing it
Read How do you eliminate extra spacing in word online
How to rename a file in word 365?
If you have subscribed to office 365 things get a little easier, especially when you need to access documents from different devices. The best thing about office 365 is that you can change the file name from the title bar itself. This is true for Mac, Windows, Word online, phones, and tablets.
Other than this here is how you can change the file name in Word on Windows and Mac while using Office 365.
How to change the file name on office 365 on Windows
- Open File Explorer on your computer
- Go to My computer and search for the document in the one drive folder. You could also use the keyboard shortcut Windows + E.
- Locate the document you would like to rename
- Use the Keyboard shortcut F2 or use the ribbon to select Rename. You can also right-click on the name and select rename from the dropdown menu.
- Press Enter on the keyboard the file name will be changed.
How to change the file name on office 365 on Mac
- Go to Finder
- Open the one drive folder
- You will see the word document on the right
- Click on it
- Use the Rename option to change the name
- You can also click on the document select and then click one more time to edit the name.
- Once you are done hit Return/Enter the name will be saved.
Read How do you delete a word document on mac
Change the file name on Word for Android and iOS
Here is how you can change the name of a word document using an Android or iOS device.
- Download the word application for android / iOS
- Login to your office online account. All the files created and stored on the drive will show on your phone
- Open the document you would like to rename
- Enable editing
- Tap on the file name. You will have an option to edit it
- Type in the name you would like to change the original name to
- Tap the check mark before closing the document.
Another way of renaming a document is by downloading the one drive application. Once you have the application you can tap on the three dots > select the Rename option and > enter the new name.
Read How to add a horizontal line in word online
Why can’t I rename my office 365 document?
There are a few reasons why you cannot rename a word document.
- The name you have typed has special characters or characters that are not accepted in file names. Try typing in the name again.
- The file is not saved. If this is the case all you need to do is use the save as option to save the document with the name you like.
- The File is protected and you do not have the necessary permissions. Contact the owner of the file and get permission to edit.
Renaming a word online document is simple and can be done in various ways. This article took you through the different ways it can be done. If you found this article interesting and useful check out similar article tutorials here.
You may like the following word online tutorials:
- How to show ruler in word online
- Difference between word online and word
- How to insert an online video on word online
- Word document shortcut keys for mac
- How do I make a word search online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.