You do not need sophisticated tools to insert circles into Word documents. Not only can you all a circle but also add text to it and change the color. This article takes you through how to put a circle in Word online.
To add a circle to a Word online document you need to click on the insert tab in the top ribbon. You can then go to Drawing. From the popup menu select circle. You will then add a circle, make the desired changes and insert it into the document.
How to put a circle in Word online?
To put a circle into a Word document here are the steps you can follow.
- Login to Word online and double-click to open the document you would like to work on.
- If you want to work on a new document you can create one from the home page.
- Once you have the document open click on the spot where you need to add the circle. This way the cursor will start blinking on the spot.
- After you have the location figured out click on Insert in the top ribbon of the document.
- Under the Insert tab, you will have various options to choose from. Here you can go in for Picture if you need to insert an image of a circle. If you want to add a circle that you want to customize you will need to click on Drawing.
- Clicking on Drawing will open a popup window on your screen.
- In the Drawing preview, you will be able to insert shapes and customize them. To insert a circle click on Insert and then go to shapes.
- You will have a dropdown menu with the different shapes you can insert into the document.
- Click on Oval.
- To insert a circle you will need to click and drag the mouse. Do this till you have the desired shape and size.
- Once you have drawn the circle you can easily edit it and insert it into the document.
To insert the circle click on Save and close in the right corner of the window.
- The circle will show on the document in the spot where the cursor is.
How to format shapes in Word online?
Once the circle is inserted into the document you can edit it whenever you like. All you need to do is click on it and you will have a popup window open with editing tools.
This can be done before inserting the circle into the document as well. Here are the editing options available.
- Suppose the circle is already part of the document click on it. If not you can edit it before adding it to the document. Click on Shape
- If you need to change the color of the circle click on Shape Fill. This will change the color inside the circle
- If you need to change the outline of the circle you can do it using the Shape outline tool.
- Click on Shape outline and you will have a dropdown menu. From here you can choose the color of the outline of the circle.
- You can also change the line style and the weight of the outline of the circle.
- Apart from this, you can decide how the circle will look against the text in the document. Do this by clicking on Arrange.
- You have options like Bring to forward, Send to Back, Bring Forward, and send backward. These are helpful when wrapping the text in the document around the circle you have inserted.
How to add text to a shape in Word online?
When it comes to adding text to a shape in this case the circle in Word online you will need to add a text box. Here are the steps you can follow to get it done.
- Click on Insert and from the options below choose Text box.
- You can now draw the textbox by clicking and dragging the mouse.
- Position the Textbox in the spot where you would add the text.
- Now click on Text.
- From the options under text, you can choose the font, the size, and other options like Bold, Underline, and Italic.
- You can also change the color of the text as well as the positioning
- Click inside the text box and add the text that you would like to see on the circle.
- The border around the textbox can be removed by clicking on the text box. going to Shape. Then go to Shape outline and click on No Outline.
How to type a circle symbol in word online?
Circle symbols can be added to documents on Mac as well as Windows either by using the symbols in the insert tab or by using the keyboard. You can also copy a circle and paste it into your document.
The circle below can easily be copied and pasted into your document.
- To copy on Mac use Command + C and paste using Command + V
- For Windows use Ctrl + C to copy and Ctrl + V to paste
If you are looking to insert a circle symbol here are the steps you can follow.
- Open the document you would like to add the circle symbol to.
- Click on the spot where you would like to add the circle.
- Once the cursor starts blinking on the spot click on Insert in the top ribbon of the document.
- On the right, you will see the Advanced symbols option. Click on it for a popup menu.
- Scroll down till you find the circle.
- Now click on it and select Insert.
- The symbol will be added to the document.
For Word online you can insert the circle symbol by clicking on Insert > Symbols > More symbols > Scroll down to find the circle > Click on the circle and > Click on Insert
If you are interested in using keyboard shortcuts to insert a circle symbol into your Word document here they are.
- For Windows, you can use Alt + 9711
- For Mac on the other hand you can use Option + 25EF
How to insert circle around text in Word for Mac?
If you are interested in inserting a circle into a Word document using the desktop application of Word on a Mac system here are the steps you can follow.
- Go to Finder and look for the file you would like to edit. You can also open Word and click on the file from the Home section.
- Now that you have the document open you can start by moving your cursor to the spot where you want to insert the circle. In the desktop version, you draw the circle directly onto the document but it’s better to have the spot ready.
- Once you know where you need to add the circle start by clicking on Insert in the top ribbon of the document.
- From the options available click on and select Shapes.
- You will have a dropdown menu. Click on Oval
- To insert the circle you will need to click on the spot and drag the circle till you have the appropriate dimensions.
Tip: If you want a perfect circle keep the Shift key pressed while you drag the circle.
- Once the circle is added to the document you can alter the dimensions at any time using the tabs on the corners.
- Simply click on the circle and make it smaller or broader using the tabs.
Adding text inside the circle and formatting it
When you click on the Circle along with the option to change the size you will have a Shape format menu in the top ribbon near View. Here is all you can do by using this menu
- Using the Shape format you can fill color into the circle you have added to the document. The Shape fill option has a dropdown menu with a range of colors to choose from.
- Along with the color of the circle, you can change the color of the border of the circle.
- You can also alter how the circle looks against the text in your document.
- To add text inside the document you need to insert a text box and then add text into this box. To add a text box to the document you can click on the text box option under the Shape Format tab.
- Once you click on the text box you will need to click and drag the box inside the circle.
- Now add the text that needs to be added.
- Format the text using the options under the same tab.
- If you need to make specific changes like the font style or size you can do it from the Home tab. All you need to do is click on Home and you can choose from the fonts available.
- Along with the text, you can also change the color of the text box. You can remove the color as well if you need the box to be hidden and only the text to be seen.
- You also have many styles and options to choose from. All you need to do is explore the options, and play around till you find the style that suits your needs.
- Once you are done don’t forget to save your changes before exiting the word document.
How to draw a shape in Word for Windows?
On Windows systems you can easily insert shapes into Word documents, this section takes you through how to add a circle to a Word document on Windows systems.
- Open Explorer and look for the document you would like to add the circle to. You can also open the Word application and search for the document from the file section. If you need to create a new document you can do so from the Word application itself.
- Scroll to where in the document you would like to add the Circle. You can click on the spot to move the cursor there.
- Once you have the document open click on Insert in the top ribbon
- From the options available click on and select Shapes
- You will have a dropdown menu with the different shapes you can insert into the document. Click on Oval.
- Go to the spot where the cursor is and click and drag the circle in place.
Tip: If you want a perfect circle keep the Shift key pressed while you drag the circle.
- Click on the circle for the Shape format menu. This menu helps you format the circle.
- To change the color of the circle simply go to the Shape fill option and you will have a list of colors to choose from. Click on the color of your choice and you will see the shape instantly change color. You could also choose white or no color.
- If the border of the shape needs to be edited you can do it by clicking on Outline. Here you can not only change the color but also the type of line used to line the circle.
- Use the Wrap text option to place the circle against the text in your document.
- Once you are done editing save and close.
How do I insert text into a shape in Word?
In the previous section, we went through how to put a circle in Word online on the desktop application. This section takes you through how to add text to a shape that is inserted into a word document.
- Click on the Circle to activate the Shape Format tab in the top ribbon.
- Select the text box option.
- Drag and insert the textbox into the circle
- Now start typing the text into the box.
- To edit the text you can use the tools in the Shape Format tab or you can click on Home.
- Under home, you will see options to change the font and also the alignment of the text inserted.
- From the Shape Format tab, you can also change the color, shape, and alignment of the text box.
- Remember to save the changes made to the document before closing.
How to put a circle in Word online using phones and tablets?
To insert a circle into a Word online document using a phone or a tablet you will first need to download the Word application. The word application is available on both Android as well as iOS devices.
To download the application go to the store type in Word and download the free app.
After the application is downloaded you can log in to your Word online account and you will have all the files created and saved on the drive synced on the device.
You can then edit and create new documents as long as you have an active internet connection. Here is how you can add a circle to the document.
- Open the Word application and tap on the document you would like to edit.
- Enable editing
- Tap on the editing menu sign to open the menu
- Tap on Home for home options. You will have an extended menu
- Select Insert
- From the options available tap on Shapes.
- Choose circle. A circle will appear on your screen
- Use the corners to alter the size of the circle inserted into the document.
- You can change the color using the formatting tools available.
- If you want to add text to the circle, tap on the circle, and then from the options and select Add Text.
- You can alter the font and color of the text from the options available in the editing menu.
This tutorial article took you through how to put a circle in Word online. It also looked at how to add a circle symbol into a Word document and touched upon how to add a circle on Mac and Windows. It also looked at how to insert a circle into a word online document from phones and tablets.
If you found this article useful check out similar articles here.
- How do you eliminate extra spacing in word online
- How do you delete a word document on mac
- Difference between word online and word
- How to add a horizontal line in word online
- How to get word count on word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.