Silcrow, another name for the section sign, is a typographical character used to identify a certain section of a document. Its shape is derived from a double “s,” or signum sectionis in Latin, which means “section symbol.” This tutorial article takes you through How to insert § in word online.
To insert § in Word Online start by clicking on the Insert tab in the top ribbon of the document. Click on the “Symbol” button in the “Symbols” section of the tab. You will then have a dropdown menu with the different symbols available. Scroll through the list and click on §.
How to insert § in Word Online?
A nonbreaking space should be used immediately after a section mark to prevent the symbol and the number from being split across two lines. Section marks are followed by numbers. It is required to double up when making references to numerous sections. Here is how to add it to a Word document
- Click on the place in your document where you want to insert the § symbol.
- On the top menu bar, click on the “Insert” tab.
- Click on the “Symbol” icon in the “Symbols” section of the menu.
- A drop-down menu will appear, and you can select “More Symbols” at the bottom of the list.
- Either that or you will see two options Equation and Advanced Symbol
- Click on the Advanced symbol icon
- You will then have a popup menu with different symbols to choose from
- Go to the Symbols section
- Scroll down the list of symbols until you find the § symbol.
- Click on the symbol to select it, and then click the “Insert” button to insert the symbol into your document.
How to insert § in Word for Mac?
Here are the steps you can follow when trying to add the § symbol into a Word document on Mac laptops and desktops.
- Browse through your documents and open the Word document you want to work on. You can also open Word and search for the document or create a new document from the home screen.
- Click on Insert in the top ribbon of the document.
- Go to the section titled Symbols and click on the arrow
- You will have a dropdown menu
- From the options click on the Advanced Symbol button
- You will now have a popup menu with all the symbols that can be added to the document.
- Go to the symbols section of the meu
- Scroll through the options and click on §
- Once you have selected the symbol click on Insert
- The symbol will now appear in the document where the cursor is
How to insert special characters in Word with a keyboard?
Keyboard shortcuts are great to know. Especially, when you use the command or in this case symbol often. This section looks at how to add special characters to the document you are working on using the keyboard.
- Your cursor should be placed where the special character is to be inserted. Do this by clicking on the spot.
- On your keyboard, press the necessary combination of keys.
- Alt + Ctrl + Num – Em Dash (Alt plus Ctrl plus the minus sign on the number pad)
- Ctrl + Num – for an en dash
(Ctrl plus the minus sign on the number pad)
- Hyphen without breaking: Ctrl + Shift + (Ctrl plus Shift plus underscore)
- Hyphen, if desired: Ctrl + – (Ctrl plus hyphen)
- Nonbreaking: Ctrl + Shift + Spacebar to use space
- Copyright: Alt + Ctrl + C
- Registered: Alt + Ctrl + R
- Trademark: Alt + Ctrl + T
- Ellipsis: Alt + Ctrl + . (Alt plus Ctrl plus period)
- Single Opening Quote: Ctrl + `,`(Ctrl plus two grave accents)
- Single Closing Quote: Ctrl + ‘,’ (Ctrl plus two single quotation marks)
- Double Opening Quote: Ctrl + ` , Shift + ‘ (Ctrl plus one grave accent followed by Shift plus one single quotation mark)
- Double Closing Quote: Ctrl + ‘, Shift + ‘ (Ctrl plus one single quotation mark followed by Shift plus one single quotation mark)
How to insert symbols in Word?
There are many symbols that can be added to a document from one place. Using the Symbol dialogue box, all twenty-seven special characters can be added to the document along with other symbols. This section looks at how to add symbols to a document.
- Position your cursor in the text area where the symbol or special character needs to be added.
- On the top ribbon, click on and open the Insert tab.
- In the Symbols section, choose Symbols. You will have a dropdown menu
- Select More Symbols.
- In the Symbol dialogue box, choose the symbol you require.
- To insert the symbol, choose Insert.
- To close the Symbol dialogue box, select the Close button.
If the Symbol dialogue box obscures your view of the newly added special character, left-click the mouse arrow on the dialogue box’s uppermost portion to capture it, and then drag it to another place on the screen.
How to insert symbols in Word mobile?
It is convenient to work on mobile devices. It gives you the flexibility of working on the go. Here is how you can insert symbols into the word document you are working on from your mobile device.
- Download and open the Word application for phones and tablets.
- Start by locating the document and opening it
- Now enable editing and start by moving the cursor where you would like to insert the symbol.
- On phones, symbols, smilies, and other characters can be added to the document from the keyboard itself.
- Press and hold the correct key until a collection of unique characters or symbols appears to see them.
- You can then add the character or symbol to your document.
How to copy and paste § in word online
Sometimes you have the symbol already added to the document or need to use it multiple times. At times like these you can simply copy the § and paste it wherever you would like to insert it. Follow these steps.
- To copy the symbol, select the symbol/word using the mouse by left-clicking and dragging across the symbol
- You can right-click on the highlighted symbol and select the copy option from the drop-down menu.
- Alternatively, you could use the keyboard. Use the key combination Ctrl + C to copy the symbol on Windows devices or Command + C for mac.
Once you have copied the symbol you can paste it anywhere in the document or in other documents.
- To paste click where you would like to add the symbol.
- You can right-click and select paste from the drop-down menu.
- Alternatively, use Command + V on mac and Ctrl + V on Windows.
How to insert § in Word for Windows?
Here is how to add the § symbol in Word for Windows.
- Click where you would like to insert the symbol.
- Go to insert in the top ribbon of the document. Go to the symbol section
- From here you can go to advanced symbols
- A popup menu will appear with all the symbols available
- Scroll through the menu and select the § symbol
- Click on Insert to add it to the document.
You can also add the § symbol using alt tabs. You can use the keyboard shortcut “Alt + 0167” to insert the § symbol into your document. Just make sure your cursor is in the right place before you use the keyboard shortcut.
This tutorial article looked at how to insert § in word online. there are two main methods, one is from the insert menu and the other by using the keyboard. The article also looked at inserting the symbol on mobile devices.
Hope you found this article helpful and interesting. Check out similar articles here.
- change language in word online
- How to put last name and page number on word mac
- Save word online documents to a computer
- How to remove space after paragraph in word online
- Add different page numbers in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.