Page numbers are an integral part of any chunky document. Did you know it is possible to have different page numbers? This article touches upon inserting page numbers and dives deeper into how to add different page numbers in word online.
To add different page numbers into a word online document start by clicking on the Insert tab. You can then click on and select Page Numbers. Choose the format from the dropdown menu. You can then go to options and choose the numbering pattern.
How to add different page numbers in word online?
May it be academic papers or corporate documents when pages are numbered things are easier. In this section, we take you through the steps involved in adding page numbers to word online documents.
- Log in to Office online and go to word online.
- You can open the document you would like to edit by double-clicking on it.
- Another way to access documents created on Word online is by logging in to One drive and double-clicking the document to open.
- Once the document is open click on the Insert tab in the top menu.
- Under Insert, you will see various options. Click on and select Page Numbers.
- You will now have a dropdown menu.
- This dropdown menu gives you formatting options from your page numbers. You can place them to the left, right, or center of the header or footer of the document.
- Here you have another formatting option called Include Page Count. By selecting this option you will have the total pages displayed on every page. The page numbers will look something like this 1 of 10, 2 of 10, and so on.
- Once you click on the format you like you will have a different page number on every page of the word online document.
How do you add Roman numerals and page numbers in Word Online?
Roman numerals and page numbers can be added to documents in word online by following a few simple steps. Here is how it is done along with how to use the options menu.
- Start by opening the word online document that needs to be edited.
- Click and open the Insert menu.
- From the options available select page numbers. You will then have a dropdown menu with pre-formatted page numbers to choose from.
- The list starts with numbers and the different placement options available. Scroll down to find Roman numerals.
- On the extreme right, you will find Options. Click on it for a dropdown menu.
The options menu has various formats to choose from here is a brief
- Same across the entire document – here the page numbers will run through the entire document without interruptions.
- Different first page – Almost all documents have a cover page that is not numbered choose this option if you would like to exclude the first page from numbering.
- Different even & odd pages – If you are printing the document in a book format and need to have a different set of numbers this is the format to consider.
- The third option is different first, even & odd pages – This is a combination of excluding or having a different number for the first page as well as the even and odd pages in the document.
Select the formatting option that suits your needs best by clicking on it. If you decide to remove page numbers click on the Remove Page Number option. This way the page numbers will be deleted from the document.
How to add multiple page numbers in word using page break?
When page numbers are added to documents they can get messed up when additional content is added. the best option in these cases is to include page breaks to sections that you feel deserve a page number of their own.
- To include a page break click on the section that you would like to separate.
- Click on the beginning of the section to move the cursor to that location.
- once the cursor is in place go to the Insert tab
- Under Insert, you will have a section titled Page break. Click and select it.
- The selected section will not be moved to another page.
- Add page numbers by going to the Page number section under Insert and choosing a format.
How do I continue page numbering in Word?
In the desktop application for word here are the steps you can follow to have multiple page numbers.
- Download the offline or desktop application for word. You will also need to download the One Drive application for windows.
- login to One Drive to access all the files created on word online. You can also log in from the office online website. Select and download documents that need to be edited.
- Double click to open the document you would like to edit.
- Once the document is open click and open the Insert menu in the top ribbon.
- From the various options select Page number.
- On clicking page number you will have a drop-down menu of pre-formatted options to choose from.
- You can add page numbers on the top, bottom, and in the margins of the page. Each option will have submenus and formats to choose from. You can click on the format that you like and add it to your document.
- Using this menu you can change the format of the numbers. You can also specify where you want to start the page numbers form.
- After making all the necessary alterations click on OK.
How do I make page numbers different in Word for Windows?
To make page numbers different in word online documents on the desktop version you will first need to insert page numbers.
Once the page numbers are added you can easily use the formatting tools available to make the desired changes. Another option when it comes to adding page numbers is the use of page breaks.
- To insert a page break click on the section that you would like to separate. By clicking on the beginning of the section the cursor will move to that position.
- Go to the insert menu and click on Page Break.
- The selected section will move to another page
You can then number this section using the page number option in the Insert menu.
How do I insert a Page Number on a specific page in Word 365 for Mac?
To add different page numbers on Mac systems here are the steps you can follow.
- Download the One Drive application for mac and you will be able to see all the documents created and save on the office online.
- double-click on the document that you would like to edit.
- Once the document is in front of you start by clicking on and opening the Insert menu in the top ribbon.
- Under Insert you will see Page Number. Click on it for more options.
- Edit the Page numbers based on the pages you would like to exclude and the number formatting.
- If you need a section to be numbered separately click on that section and move the cursor to that spot.
- You will then need to click on Page break in the insert section
- This way the selected section will move to another page.
- You can then add page numbers to the document accordingly.
How to remove page numbers from Word for desktop?
To remove page numbers for documents created on the desktop version of word online you can follow these steps.
- Open the document that needs to be edited
- Go to Insert in the top ribbon
- Click on and select Page Number
- From the dropdown menu click on and select Remove Page Numbers.
How to add multiple page numbers on Android devices?
To add page numbers to android devices here are the steps you can follow.
- Download the Word application for Android and open the document you would like to edit.
- Tap on and select Edit to open the menu
- Tap on Home for more options
- Tap on insert for the insert menu
- From the options available select Header & Footer.
- Select a Page number from the menu. You can then choose the format that you like best and add it to the document.
- To remove page numbers tap on and select the Remove page numbers option.
How to add multiple page numbers on iOS devices?
To add multiple page numbers to iOS devices start by downloading the word application and logging in using your office online credentials. You will now be able to access all the files created and stored on the cloud. To insert a page number follow these steps.
- Tap on the edit menu and then on Insert.
- Under insert tap and select Header& Footer.
- you can not select page number and choose the format you would like to use.
- To have a new section tap on the part of the content that needs to be separated. You can then select page break from the insert menu.
- To delete the page number tap and select Remove page numbers.
Adding page numbers to word online documents requires only a few simple steps. You can not only customize the overall format but also the pages that can be numbered. here are the few topics that were covered.
- Adding and removing different page numbers in word online.
- How to include multiple page numbers to word documents created on mac and windows systems.
- Adding and removing page numbers on android and iOS devices.
You may like the following word online tutorials:
- How to enlarge Microsoft word online
- How to connect 3 pics into 1 in word online
- check who has access to word online
- How to uncapitalize text in Microsoft word online
- How to put citations on word online
- Add border in Microsoft word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.