Rulers in Word documents are particularly helpful when you need to control page margins and paragraph indentation. When you have a specific format to follow doing it without proper tools or knowing how to use tools isn’t possible. This tutorial takes you through the process of how to show ruler in word online.
How to show ruler in word online? To insert a ruler onto the word online document you are working on Select View on the top ribbon > Click on Ruler. You will now have a ruler on the top of your word online document. Indents and margins can be adjusted using the tabs on the ruler.
How to get a ruler on word online?
To add a ruler to your word online document is not a herculean task. Follow these steps
- Open word online on your desktop or laptop. If you work on word online regularly, download the onedrive desktop application. this will reduce the amount of time required to signin to word onine.
- Go to the document that the ruler needs to be asdded to
- make sure you have editing permission if you are not the owner of the dicument.
- To check if you have permission to edit check on the top ribbon near Help
- Editing meand you have the permission to or are in the editing mode. Reviewing is where you can review the document while View means you can only view the document and not make any changes to it.
Read How to save a Microsoft word document online?
- Once you are sure of the permissions you have click on View in the top ribbon
- You have have numerous options under view Click on Ruler.
- You will now have a ruler on the top of your screen.
- This ruler has tabs that you can use to navigate the spacing through the document.
- You can increase or decrease spacing by moving the tabs back an foth.
- The ruler looks a little different when there is a table in the document.
- You will see lined where the columns are
- The size of the cells can be reduced or increased from the ruler itself.
- Simply drag the lines by clicking on them.
Read How to share word documents online
How to hide a ruler in word online?
It may so happen that you do not need the ruler to show on your word online document. There are two ways in which this can be done, follow the steps mentioned below to choose the option that’s the best fit for your needs.
Changing the document view to disable ruler
The mode in which the document is viewed plays an important role. In word online you have the default view that you use to edit and view the document and you have a Reading view.
When you are in the reading view all the editing options on the screen will disappear and you will only have the text visible.
Check out How to set default font in word online.
Here is how to select Reading view in word online
- Open the document that you require
- On the top ribbon choose the view option
- you will now have a number of options to choose from
- Reading view is the fist option on the left of your screen.
- Click on it to change the view
- Your document will look something like this.
If you want to go back to the editing view you can do it easily
- Click on Edit document in the Reading view
- Choose the Edit option to take you to the word online version of the document.
- you can also edit the document using the desktop application
Read How to change your page color in word online?
Using the hide ruler option in word online
Another way to hide a ruler in word online is by using the hide ruler option. follow these steps on how to do it
- Open the document
- Take the mouse cursor to the ruler on the top of the document
- Right click on the ruler
- Select Hide ruler
another way in which you can hide the ruler from your word online document is by reversing the inserting process
- Click on view in the document you would like to stop seeing the ruler in
- Select View
- under View click on Ruler
Read How to insert an online video on word online
How to show ruler in word online on a mac device?
follow these steps to show a ruler in word online on an Apple desktop or laptop
- Open the document that you would like to see the ruler in.
- Go to the main ribbon and select View
- of the various option s available in the View menu select Ruler
You will not be able to see a ruler on your screen. If you want to disable the ruler feature
- Right click on the ruler and select Hide ruler
- you can also reverse the insercion process by clicking on view and unselecting Ruler.
Read How to insert a table of content in word online if you would like to know how to add a table to your document.
Frequently asked questions
unfortunately, you cannot, there is no option on your android device that would enable you to show rulers on word online. You can however download the application for the same.
iOS devices are great to work on but word online as a program has limited features. The option to show rulers are absent on mobile devices even if you log in from your iOS device to Office online or access the file from the application.
Hope you found this article useful, it took you through
- How to get a ruler on word online?
- How to hide a ruler in word online?
- Changing the document view to disable ruler
- Using the hide ruler option in word online
- How to show ruler in word online on a mac device?
- Can you add a ruler to a document on an android device?
- Can you insert a ruler to word online documents on iOS devices?
Check out other tutorial articles here
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.