Sometimes written word is not enough to convey a message effectively. This makes it imperative to use videos. This article takes you through how to insert an online video on word online.
To insert a video in word online open the document you need to add a video to click on insert. Click on the three dots on the extreme right to extend the menu > select online video
Read How to delete a document in word online?
Insert an online video to a document in Word Online
Sometimes videos become necessary to make a point stand out or to explain something better. This being said when you click on a link inserted in documents you are redirected to a new tab.
This in a way is distracting, time-consuming, and most importantly an inconvenience. You tend to lose out on the context and the connection between the text and the video.
To make things easier it is better to insert the video in the document itself. Here is a step to step guide on how to insert an online video on word online.
- Open the word online document you are working on. The document can be found in the recent documents section on the official online website. You can also access the document from One Drive.
- Once you have the document in front of you select the location for the video.
- For this simply click on the spot in the document where you would like to add the video.
- Clicking in the document will get the cursor there
- Once you see the cursor blinking you can move on to the next step.
- Now that you have your cursor in place Click on the Insert tab for the menu
- you will have a number of options under insert Click on the three dots to reveal an extended menu
- Choose Online Video from this menu
- In word online you can insert videos from different sites including Youtube, Slideshare, Vimeo, Steam, and TED.
- To insert the video all you need to do is paste the URL of the video in the box.
- Copy the URL of the video you would like to add to the document
- Paste it in the box highlighted
- You will now have a preview of the video
- If all is clear select Insert
Your video will now show up in the document. You can click on the play button and it will play from the document itself. The video will play seamlessly without redirecting you to another site.
Read How to add page numbers in word online?
How to embed a video in word online on a mac system?
When it comes to working on word online it is both convenient and cost-effective. You need not purchase a license if you are not planning on using all the features. This program is online, easily accessible, and has all the basic features required.
Here is how you can embed a video into your word online document.
- Open the document you would like to edit. You can access the document from office online. Alternatively, you could access it from the One Drive application or website.
- Once you have the document open take your cursor to the spot where the video needs to be added.
- You can then click on the insert option on the main option ribbon on the top of the document.
- The insert menu will have various options click on the three dots in the right corner to reveal more options.
- You will find an online video option, click on it to select.
- Once selected a popup menu will open
- On the top click on the section where you need to paste the video link
- Paste the link to your video in this slot
- You will see a preview of the video
- Click insert
- The video will now insert as part of the document.
- it will play from the document itself all you need to do is click on play.
Read How to make MLA format in Word Online
Inserting a video in a word document using an android device
When it comes to mobile devices there are limited options available. Especially when it comes to adding videos to documents.
Unlike desktops and laptops, you cannot add a video to the document to play from the document itself. There is however a workaround. Here is how it can be done.
Read How to double space in word online?
- Open the document that you would like to add the video too. Access the document from the application or the website, either way, you will need to log in.
- once you have the document, tap on the spot where you need to add the video.
- Now go to the editing menu on your device
- The editing menu will open at the bottom of the screen
- From the options click on insert for a menu of things you can add to the document.
- Click on the link from the options available.
- You will not have an option to include a link to the document and text that you want to display.
- you can add either the title of the video or a catchy phrase.
- Past the video link in the address section
- Select Insert.
- The phrase or word you have typed will now show up on the document with a link to the video.
- by doing this the video will not play in the document itself but you can still view it
Check out our article on How to insert text box in word online?
Frequently asked question
Hope you found this tutorial helpful, it covered
- Inserting an online video to a document
- How to embed a video in word online on a mac system?
- Inserting a video in a word document using an android device
- Why can’t I add a video to my word online document?
Check out other tutorial articles here
- How to separate pages in word online?
- How to sign a document in Word Online?
- Can you see the editing history of a word online document?
- How to insert a URL for an online webpage in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.