You do not need to excessively use tab, space, or special tools to align text in Word online. Here is a tutorial article that takes you through how to make part of a line right align word online. It also looks at the other ways text can be aligned.
To align part of the sentence in Word online select the sentence that needs to be aligned. You will then need to click on Home in the top ribbon. Click on the arrow under paragraph > select the alignment > go to tabs. Set the distance > apply the changes. You can then use the tab to align the text.
How to make part of a line right align word online?
When you are trying to align part of the sentence to the right in Word online you can do it one of two ways. You can start by typing out the sentence and then choosing to align it.
Or, you could type set the aligning parameters and then type in the sentence. Either way, here are the steps you can follow.
- Locate and open the word online document you would like to edit. This can be done by logging in to Office online and then searching for the document.
- To align half the sentence in Word it is helpful to have the ruler active. With the ruler active, it is easier to set the tabs.
- To activate the ruler click on View and select Ruler
- If you have the sentence typed out select the sentence. Start by clicking on the first word of the sentence and then drag the mouse without releasing the click. You can also select the sentence by triple-clicking on the first word.
- Click on Home in the top ribbon of your document.
- Under home, you will see the Paragraph section
- You will have a popup menu with advanced paragraph formatting options
- You can start by clicking the arrow next to Alignment and choosing Right from the dropdown menu.
Adjust the tab stops to align half the sentence to the right
- After you have made the selection click on Tab Stop Options.
- This is where the ruler on the top of your screen comes in handy. You can use the ruler to measure the distance between tabs or the sentence breaking and point.
- Go down to the Default tab stops section and type in the tab size.
- After you have specified the tab size click on OK
- You will now be redirected to the document. Go to the part of the sentence that you need to split and hit the tab key.
- You will notice that one part of the sentence moves to the left while the other stays on the right.
Read How to change default setting in word online
How to left and right align on the same line in Word?
When it comes to using Word on the desktop application the process is the same. The only difference when it comes to Mac and Windows is the placement of the paragraph option.
This section takes you through how to left and right align on the same line in word on Mac and Windows.
How to align text left and right on the same line word mac?
Here are the steps you can follow to have different alignments on the same line in Word.
- Locate and open the word document you would like to edit.
- Click on Format in the top bar and go to Paragraph. You can also use the keyboard shortcut Option + Command + M
- You will now have a Paragraph formatting popup menu.
- In the Indents and spacing section, you will see the Alignment option. Click on the arrow and you can change the alignment to right.
- After you have selected the alignment click on Tabs…
- You will have a popup menu with various options
- Here you can specify the alignment again and then go on to define the Default stops.
- Once you have inserted the default stops click on OK
- In the document, you will need to click on the spot where you want to divide the sentence from. Once the cursor starts blinking hit Tab on the keyboard.
- Part of the line will move to the right and the other to the left. You can adjust the tab size at any time. You can also use the Space bar for minor adjustments.
How to right align part of a line in word for Windows?
Here is how you can right align part of the line in Word for Windows.
- Start by looking for the file you would like to edit using Explorer. You can then proceed to double-click and open it.
- After the file is open start typing the line
- Now go to the home tab in the top ribbon of the document
- You will see paragraph formatting options and a small arrow on the right.
- Click on the arrow for a popup menu with more paragraph formatting options.
- Under the general section, you can change the alignment side.
- Now go to the tab section
- In the popup menu, you will have different options, here you can specify the tab stop size.
- Click on Ok to save the changes.
- Once you are redirected back to the document, click on the section that you would like to move and hit the Tab key.
Read How to place text over an image word online
How to align text differently on the same line in Word?
Formatting text entered into Word documents is simple. Here is a breakdown of how you can align text in the same line on opposite sides. This trick can be particularly useful when you want to separate values from sections or dates from resumes.
- Login to Office online and open the word online document you would like to edit. If you are planning to use the desktop version of Word you can locate the file on your computer and open it.
- In Word online, you will need to activate the ruler first.
- To make the ruler visible click on View in the top ribbon of the document.
- You will then need to click on Ruler and the ruler will become visible on the top of the document.
- When working on the desktop version you can click on Vie in the top ribbon and tick the box next to Ruler. This way you will have both, the horizontal and vertical ruler active.
Using tab stops to align text in Word online
You will need to add tab stops in order to align text differently on the same line.
If you need to left and right align text in the same line you will need to set tab stops on the left where the text will begin and then another on the right where it ends. Another option is to make a start and stop for every section, this way the text is uniformly distributed.
- In Word online right-click on the ruler. You will have a drop-down menu.
- Click on Insert tab stop for options
- Select Left tab stop if you would like the text to end on the left
- The right tab stop can be used to stop the text from exceeding the right tab border.
- The center tab stop on the other hand will keep text away from the center.
- Tab stops can be used in combination to achieve a certain formatting pattern.
As the formatting options are a little different in the desktop version here is how you can add tab stops to text.
- Click on the tab icons on the far left. The icon will show at the intersection of the horizontal and vertical rulers.
- The tab stop style will change with every click.
- To place a tab stop tab all you need to do is double-click on the spot on the ruler where you need a tab.
- Follow the same process for all the tabs that need to be added to the ruler.
Read How to add google fonts to word online
How to make lines end evenly in Word?
To make lines in Word to start and end evenly you can use tabs. Here are the steps you can follow.
- You will first need to decide where you need to start and stop lines in your document.
- Now Right-click on the Ruler where you would like to start sentences. You will have a dropdown menu
- Click on Left tab stop and select it.
- You will see a left tab sign on the ruler.
- Now right-click on the spot where you would like to end sentences.
- Click on Insert tab stop from the dropdown menu.
- Select Right tab stop
On the desktop version of Word, you can add tabs by clicking on the tabs icon at the interception of the horizontal and vertical rulers.
- Start by changing the tab stop sign by clicking on it. You will need a left tab stop to place at the beginning of the sentence.
- Click on the ruler to place the tab stop
- Now change the stop to the right tab stop and place it at the end of the sentence.
- The text will now stay within the tab stops.
Read How to insert online pictures in word online
How to center and right align on the same line word online in a table?
The previous sections looked at how to make part of a line right align word online. This section takes you through how to center and right-align text in the same line when you have text in a table. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Start by inserting a table into your Word Online document
- Add the text that you would like to feature in the table
- The easiest way to align the text that is entered into a table is by selecting the cells.
- To select the entire row or column hover the mouse on the outer wall of the row or column. When the mouse pointer changes shape to a sideward or downward facing arrow click. You will see that the entire row or column gets selected.
- If the selection is limited to a few cells you can drag and select the selection. Just click on the first cell and drag the selection through the table.
- Once the cells are selected you can easily align the text. Click on Home in the top ribbon of the document.
- You will see the paragraph section.
- From here you can select left right or center align.
- You can have a different alignment for every cell. for this all you need to do is click within a cell and then go to home and select the alignment option.
Read How to customize lists in Microsoft word online
How to use Left, Right, and center alignment in Word online?
Left, Right, and center alignment are used in documents as a formatting tool. This section takes you through how to use alignment in word online documents.
- Locate and open the document that you would like to format.
- Select the paragraph that needs alignment.
- Click on Home in the top ribbon of the document.
- Under Home, you will have Paragraph options.
- Click on the alignment options to align text.
You can also use keyboard shortcuts to align text in word online
- Ctrl + L on Windows and Command + L on Mac will left align the text that is selected.
- To right align text you can use Ctrl + R on Windows and Command + R on Mac
- Centre alignment can be done by using Ctrl + E in Windows and Command + E on Mac.
- To justify text you can use Ctrl + J on Windows and Command + J on Mac
Though these options are great to align the entire paragraph or line you can also partly left, right or center align text in Word online. For this, you can use the advanced paragraph options or simply use the tab stops on the ruler.
Read How to do small caps in Word Online?
This article took you through the various ways in which you can have multiple line alignments. It looked at right, left, and center alignment in various combinations as well as all together. Lastly, this article looked at how you can align the edges of documents to have a more symmetrical and uniform look.
Hope you found this tutorial article interesting and helpful. Check out similar content here:
- How to move text to bottom in word online
- How to change the date modified on a word file online?
- unlock for shared use word online
- How to enable third-party cookies in word online
- How to free move pictures in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.