While working on word documents, do you find yourself changing settings right after opening the document? or do you find yourself adjusting paragraph spacing, font, etc regularly? if so then its time to change the default settings of word on your computer. in this article we take you through how to change default settings in word online.
In Word Online, you can create templates with specific settings. This will save users the trouble of changing settings every time they use the application. You can change the default settings for line spacing, font, margin, and page orientation from their respective tabs.
How to change default setting in word online
Even though you cannot change all the default settings in word, some settings can be changed. Here are some of the changes you can make and a step to step tutorial on how it is done.
Changing the font default setting in Word
While using the desktop application, the font and other components can be changed. while these changes can be reversed you can set them as default for documents you create thereafter. here are the changes that can be made and how to set them as default.
- Open a new word document on your desktop
- Click on home on the top ribbon to reveal the formatting options
- You can not click on the sotward arrow under the fonts secton
- You will not have a popup window with various options
The popup window has two sections. Let’s break it down to understand what default settings can be changed.
Changing the default settings in the Font section in word
The Font section has provisions to change the default settings of the following
- The font of the document – this is the default font your document will start with. It is generally calibri you can change it to the font you like.
- Font Style – The fonts in a document can be either normal, italic, bold or bold italic. in most cases it is a combination of all the styles as you progress through the document. the default setting is normal and then you add on effects as you move from one section of the document to the other. You can however change the style of the document to start with any option other than normal.
- Font size – The default sont size in word documents is 11 but most documents required to be submittend in schools or organisations is 12. you can change the default font size using this option. Simply click on the size you require.
- Font color – the color of the font in word is generally black. You can however change it to another color you prefer.
- Underline style – some documents require words to be underlined. This option lets you choose from various underline options.
- Underline color – like the font color you can change the color you underline your text with.
- Effects – effects like strikethrough, double strikethrough, subscript, superscript, small caps, all caps and hidden are used within the document to emphasize on details. you can however use it all through the text if need be by checking the boxes near each option.
Once you click on the options you will be able to view them on sample text in the preview section of the menu. After viewing it you can decide on the change and click on Set as Default.
Making changes in the Advanced section in word online
The advanced section under fonts has provisions to change the default settings of the following
- Scale – The scale of the font is more like a zoom in and out option. It is generally at 100% but you can reduce it to 33% or increase it to 200%
- Spacing – Fonts can be spaced in three ways, normal – like how you would normally see it in a document. Expanded where the characters are a little apart. Condensed where characters are closer than usual. The distance between the characters is measured in points and can be adjusted using the By option or section on the right.
- Position – The text that you see in a document is normal you can have it higher or lower. in terms of options its called raised and lowered. The distance is measured in points and can be adjusted from the by section on the right.
- The kerning for fonts can also be adjusted by checking the box. this can be done by measuring it in points and above.
- Other than these you have a section for opentype features. here you can change the linatures, Number spacing, number forms and stylistic sets. You can in this section also check or uncheck the box to use contextual alternates.
- Like the fonts sectioin you can see the changes made to the text in in the preview section.
- once you are happy with the changes made click on Set as Default.
How to change paragraph default setting in Word Online?
when it comes to paragraph and spacing there are specifics to adhere to while completing coursework. most universities require a double line spacing or some courses specify the indentation. Here is how you can change the default settings for paragraphs.
- Start by clicking on Home
- Go to the section titled paragraph and click on the outward facing arrow
- You will now have a popup menu with editing options to choose from
Here is a section-by-section breakdown of the formatting settings that you can set as default.
Formatting indent and spacing in word online
In the indent and spacing section, there is a lot you can edit and set as default. Here is a list
- Allignment – Text allignment plays an impotant role when it comes to formatting. This section allows you to choose the allignment of the text in your document. The options available are Left – the original one, other than this you have right, centered and justified.
- Outline level – The outline level can either be colapsed by default kept as body text which is the normal setting or Indentation – You can change the intentation setting by moving the points up or down on both sides of the text. In the special section you can have a first line or hnaging indent.
- Spacing -yhb the spacing section helps format the spacing before and after a paragraph. You can from this section also change the line spacing settings. or choose not to ass space between paragraphs of the same style.
You can check how the changes made would look in the preview section of the popup menu. Once you are satisfied with changes and are sure you what them as default settings click on Set as Default.
Check out How to add columns in word online?
Formatting line and Page breaks in word online
The lines and page breaks section in the paragraph section is useful when you need to change settings when it comes to pagination here is a list of things that you can set to default.
- The extended menu in the paragraph section opens up to a line and page breaks menu. here you can number pages and in a way control how you need it done.
- The option includ window or orphan control that on by default. Keep with next or keep lines together and page break before. Select the option you would like to include by checking the box next to it.
- You can from this menu suppress line numbers and choose not to hypernate text.
- Check the Preview box for a preview of the changes you would like to include as a default setting.
- Click on Set as Default
Check out the tutorial on How to transfer files to word online?
How to change Page setup default settings in Word Online?
The page setup default settings can be changed from the layout tab. Here are the steps you can follow
- Click on the Layout tab on the top ribbon of the document
- From the options availableclick on the downward facing arrow near in the page setup menu.
- You will have a popup menu with various options.
Editing the default margin settings in word office 365
The margin settings play an important role in a document. different organizations and universities have specific requirements one needs to adhere to. Here is how you can change the margin default settings in word online.
- The left, right, bottom and top margins are generally set to 2.54 cm. you will sometimes need to have a bigger left margin to accomidate boob binding or punch holes to file the document.
- The headers and footers of documents can also be increased or decreased depending on your requirements.
- Gutter is the space you intend to use to bind a document. This can either be on the side or top of the document. So instead of increasing the margin to accomidate binding you can use the gutter option. The postion of the gutter can also be set as per your requirements from this section.
- Page orientation – either the document is goin to be in the portrait or landscape form at the beginning can be changed.
- When it comes to pages you can choose from a normal page layout toother options. These options include mirrior margins, two pages per sheet or book fold. This way you can edit and move the text around as per printing requirements.
- You have a preview option to review changes made to the document. once you are happy with the changes and the specifications required for future documents click on Set as Default.
How to change default paper settings in word?
The paper style and requirements differ from one user to the other. The best example of this is typing out and formatting a legal document in an A4-size paper.
When you print this document it is sure to be all over the place in terms of formatting. Here is how you can change the default paper settings in Word.
- Start by clicking on the Paper subtab under the paper setup menu
- You will now have a paper size drop down at the very beginning. Here you can choose from the different paper sizes available ranging from A4 to A5 to envelope, postcare and many more. You can also include a customised paper size.
- The width and height of the paper can be adjusted as well.
- You can change the paper source from the next section.
- Once you are ready with the changes check them on the preview.
- You can then click on Set as Default.
Formatting the default page layout settings in Word office 365
Page layout is a more general setting that includes things like alignment and other things alike. Here is how you can change these default settings with ease.
- Start by selectin gthe Layout subtab in the Page setup popup menu.
- Here you can alter where a new section starts. it can be either on a new page, even or odd pages, a column or even continuous.
- You will then see an option for header and footer where you can specify if you need it different for odd and even pages. You can choose to have a different first page as well.
- The header and footer size can be edited from theis section
- So can the vertical allignment
- After previewing the changes you need to make in future documents. choose the Set as Default option and you are good to go.
When it comes to working on Word and editing documents, it is better to have default settings. this reduces the hassle of changing things every time you start working on a new document. Hope you found this article informative and useful, it covered in detail
- How to change default setting in word online
- Changing the font default setting in Word
- Changing the default settings in the Font section in word
- Making changes in the Advanced section in word
- How to change the paragraph default setting in Word?
- Formatting indent and spacing in word
- Formatting line and Page breaks in word
- How to change the Page setup default settings in Word?
- Editing the default margin settings in word
- How to change default paper settings in word?
- Formatting the default page layout settings in Word
Check out other tutorial articles like this one
- How to insert a cover page in word online
- How to merge cells in word online?
- Guide on how to make a graph in word online?
- Tutorial on how to add borders in word online?
- How to move pictures in word online?
- Steps on how to add a header in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.