Cover pages add a little extra to documents, it’s something you can use to stand out. Did you know a good cover page can make you look more professional and put together? If that’s the case why not use the cover pages that are pre-designed by word? In this article, we will tell you all you need to know about how to insert a cover page in word online.
Word online has limited features and you will not have the pre-designed cover pages in word online. There is however a workaround for this. You can use the desktop application to create a cover page. you could also insert a single cell in word online and customize it.
Adding a cover page in word
As word online is free to use without a subscription fee it comes with only basic features. This means that you can create documents, edit them and make minor alterations to the documents created.
If you would like to use the cover page templates you will need to either get an office 365 subscription or a licensed office desktop application installed.
If you plan to use the desktop application here is how to insert a cover page to your document.
- Open the document you need to add a cover page to
- Once you have the document open click on Insert
- The Insert menu will give you a list of things to choose form. On the Left under Pages you will find Cover page
- Click on cover page for pre created templates
- choose from the options and click on the one you want to add
- If you do not like the ones on the list you can always download new templates from the online store.
- Once you click on the template it will show on the document
- once it is added all you need to do is fill in the data you want to showcase on the cover page.
- Remember to save the document after you finish editing.
Inserting a cover page in word online
when it comes to word online adding a cover image will take a little creativity. Here is how to add a cover image without templates or an actual cover image option.
- Open the document you need to add a cover image to. The document can either be accessed from one drive or from those in you word online recent folder.
- Once the document is in front of you click on Insert.
- From the options available click on Table
- Now select a single cell
The idea behind selecting a single cell is that you use that as a backdrop for your cover page. here is how to edit a cell to make it look like a cover page
- Once you have the cell incerted it will show up as a horizontal box on the screen.
- Not move the cursor to the edge.
- It will change its shapr to this = with arrows.
- Use this to increase the width of the box till it covers the entire page.
- Once you have the outline you can add the text you require inside the box.
Note: if the box starts to exceed the page you can reduce the size by dragging the edges or by using the backspace key.
- The box on your screen and its contents can be edited as per your liking
- you can use the Table design option to change the colour, insert images and change the border shape and colour.
- once the cover page is ready simply save the document and close it.
Inserting a cover page in word online on an Android device
Mobile phones have in a way revolutionized things, it has become so much easier to do things on the go. When it comes to editing documents most of it can be done using the word application. This application is available on the play store.
Here is how you can add a cover page to a document on an android phone.
Note: Cover page templates are not available on the application and you will need to use the table technique.
- Open the document on your phone either on the application or login to the word online site from the browser.
- Once you have the document tap on the edit option.
- The edit option will open a menu at the bottom
- Tap on home for a list of options
- Select insert
- Under insert scroll down to find table
- When you select table a small table will appear on the screen
- Select the entire table by double taping the first box and moving the tabs around
- Once the entire table is selected tap on the merge cells option
- You will not have one single cell
- Add in your content and increase the size of the box using the enter key on the virtual keyboard.
- Save the documnet once done
Yes, it is possible to add a cover page to the document you are working on using your iPhone, iPad or other iOS device. If you have a licensed version of the office you will be able to get access to the templates. But, if you are using the free version you will have to do it using a table. This way the content can be added and edited without much effort.
Hope you found this tutorial article helpful, it took you through
- How to insert a cover page in word online
- Adding a cover page in word
- Inserting a cover page in word online
- Inserting a cover page in word online on an Android device
- Can you insert a cover page in word online on an iOS device?
Check out other tutorial articles here
- How to merge cells in word online?
- How to move pictures in word online?
- Different chart types available in Word Online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.