Nothing screams personalization louder than a signature. A handwritten signature gives a document an edge over other documents. Apart from this, it is helpful when you need to sign documents and other official papers. In this article, we will take you through How to sign a document in Word Online.
How to sign a document online in Word? As there is no option to digitally sign a document on word online the best option is to upload a picture that contains your signature. For this all you need to do is sign on a blank sheet > save it on your device or upload the file > insert it in the word online document.
You can scan one or more signatures and store them as a picture to insert in any word document. When sending a document to someone else, you can add an “insert signature here” to indicate where they can add their signature.
How to create and insert a handwritten signature in Word Online?
This will require an external scanning device. You can either use your smartphone or a scanner. Here is what needs to be done in order to insert a signature into a word document.
- Take a blank sheet of paper
- Sign on the paper – it is better to sign two to three time so that you can choose the best one.
- Use different pens to sign so that you can check which one looks best when scanned
- Take a picture or scan the document
- Save the picture as a Png, .jpg or .bmp. These files are most compatible with word online so you will not have an issue uploading or using them.
- Once you have the signature ready all you need to do is upload it to word online
Inserting a signature to word online
once you have the signature or signatures ready all you need to do is upload them. here is how it’s done
- Click on the insert tab > select the Picture option
- This will give you a drop-down menu with options of where word online can find the picture
- The options include This Device – that’s the computer you are working on, One Drive – that’s the online cloud storage Stock Images – these are generally saved on your computer and Bling pictures – that need to be uploaded.
- Select the option that your prefer.
The best option is: Open word online > Go to Insert > Pictures > Insert Picture from and select This Device.
How to edit a signature in Word online?
Once you have the picture uploaded you can edit it, resize it and alter it to suit your needs. this can be done by clicking on the picture.
- Select the image and resize it by clicking and dragging the dots on the corner of the picture.
- If you think the blank space around the signature is too much, you can crop the image.
- To crop an image in Word Online, select the signature and in the menu select Pictures > Crop
- Once you resize the image hit enter you should see the changes instantly.
- It is better to save your resized or edited images for this you can right-click the image, and then click Save as Picture to save a copy of the cropped image for future use.
In even the signature doesn’t show up you can add Alt text to the picture, by doing this you can make sure the recipient knows there was a signature or missing picture in a particular location on the document
- Select the Signature
In the menu bar select Pictures > Alt Text
In the new popup menu add your title and a detailed description to the image.
Inserting digital signature in Word Online
When it comes to the word online most of the features are missing as it is a free service. this can be fixed by either purchasing the subscription or using the desktop application.
The desktop application in most cases has an option to add a digital signature. Here is how it is done
- Open microsoft word on your desktop and open the document you need to add a signature to
- Click on Insert and go to the Signature option.
- the signature option is generally under the Text section and is marked with a page and pen logo
- click on the arrow and select Microsoft Office Signature Line
- Once the option is selected you will get a setup prompt.
- Fill in the details and tick the appropriate boxes
- Click on OK and your changes will be saved.
- The signature should show up on the page with the details entered in the setup pop up menu.
How to insert a signature to word online on Android Device?
Editing documents and adding digital signatures on android devices is not a difficult task.
Follow these simple steps and it should be done in no time. You will need to do a little prep work first.
This includes taking a blank sheet of paper and signing on it. You could choose to take a picture and save it in the gallery or you could do it on the spot while inserting it into the document.
Either way, it is important to have a clear image with proper lighting.
- Open the word online document that requires a signature to be added
- Click on the spot where you want to add the signature
- Click on the edit option on the top left corner of the screen / document
- You will have an editing menu on the bottom
- Click on the arrows near the home button
- Select insert
- Scroll down to pictures and selct it
- Under pictures you will have two options either inserting a picture from the photo gallery or to take a new picture
- Select any one option
- Edit the image to fit it to your document
- Click on the tick to save the changes made to the document.
You can now insert signatures in word online documents with ease. This tutorial took you through:
- How to create and insert a handwritten signature online?
- Inserting a signature to word online
- How to edit a signature in Word online?
- Inserting digital signature in Word
- How to insert a signature on Android Device?
Related Microsoft Word Online tutorials:
- How to track changes in word online?
- How to insert screenshots in word online
- Show ruler in word online
- How to add different borders in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.