Page borders personalize documents. Have you wondered how to add different borders to Word online documents? This tutorial article illustrates the steps involved in how to add different borders in word online.
To add different borders in the desktop version of word online start by clicking on the design tab. You can then click on Page borders on the extreme right. Now go to custom and choose the pages you would like to add the border to from the apply section.
How to add different borders in word online?
The formatting options available in word online are limited. This means that you can create and share documents easily but may lack a few features.
One such feature is adding a border to the page or document you are working on. Here is a word around this.
- Start with logging in to your office online account. Alternatively, you can use the same credentials to log in to one drive and access the files that need to be edited.
- once you have the documents you have created on word online you can double click to open the document.
As word online does not allow users to add page borders to documents here is a workaround.
- Click on Insert in the top ribbon of the document.
- Under Insert, you will see the table option. Click on Table and from the dropdown select one cell.
- You will see that the cell appears on the document with a + sign. If you can hover the mouse around the cell walls, you will see that the arrow turns into an = indicating that you can increase the cell’s height.
- Click on and drag the walls of the cell to cover the page making a border.
Read How to add different page numbers in word online
How to customize a border in word online?
You can customize the border added to word online documents based on your requirements. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Start by clicking on and selecting the table. You will see that the Table Tab shows up in the top ribbon.
- You can from this tab change the look and feel of the cell inserted as a border.
- The Color of the table or border can be changed using this option. by choosing the color from the dropdown menu.
- If you click on the option highlighted you can change the style of the border. You will have a few options available click to select and change the style of the lines of the border added to the page in the form of a cell.
- The weight can also be changed by clicking on the Weight option and selecting the weight of the lines.
You can add different versions of the border to the document. This way a different border will show up on the pages of the document.
Read How to use the approximate symbol in word online
How to delete borders in word online?
If you require to delete the page border added to the document on word online here are the steps you can follow.
- Start by clicking and selecting the table.
- The Table option will show up in the top menu.
- Click on Delete
- From the Dropdown menu click on Table.
- The table will be removed from the document.
Read How to add different headers in word online?
How to add multiple borders in Word for Windows?
Here is how you can add multiple borders to a document created on the desktop version of Word online for Windows.
- Start by logging in to the office online and downloading the document you would like to work on.
- Once the document you can click on the Design tab in the top ribbon.
- Under design on the extreme right, you will have a section called Page Background. Here you will find the page borders section. Click on it to open a menu
- Under Page Border, you will see the Custom section.
- Here you can change the style of the border applied to the document.
- Go to the Apply to section and here you will be able to change the pages to the border can be added.
The Apply to section has various options, here is a brief
- Whole document – adding the border to the entire document
- This section – here you can add the border only to the section selected.
- The next one is this section – First page only – Here only the first page of the document will have the border.
- This section – except the first page – here you can add the border to the entire document except for the first page.
- Once the option is selected click on OK.
Read How to put last name and page number on word mac
How to add multiple borders on Mac systems?
On Mac systems, you can have multiple borders on word online documents by opening them on the desktop application. Here is a step to step guide on how it’s done.
- Start by logging into your office online account. here you will see all the documents created and stored on the drive. You can use the same credentials to log in to one drive and access the documents.
- Once the files are retrieved they can easily be downloaded and opened using the desktop application of word online.
- double click the document to open it
- Once you have the document open start by clicking on the Design tab in the top ribbon.
- Unser design you will see the Page Background section
- Here click on Page Border and you will have a popup menu
- Go to custom and you will see different options.
If you go to and click the ‘apply to’ section you will see that you have various options to choose from. this includes
- The entire document, which includes all the pages in the document
- The section selected
- Only the first page of the document
- All the pages of the document excluding the first page
You can choose where you need the border and click on the corresponding option. Once you have selected the option, click on OK and your changes will be saved to the document.
Read How to create columns in word header online
How to add multiple page borders to word documents on Android devices?
Mobile devices are great when it comes to working on the go. In this section, we will look at how to add multiple borders to word online documents.
- Start by downloading the word application for android and login to your office online id.
- you can then access the files saved on the drive from here.
- tap on the file name to open the file and select the editing option.
- Once you have permission to edit the document you will need to select the editing option for the menu.
- Select insert and you will have another menu
- Under insert tap and select table.
- You will see a table appear on the word document.
- Select all the cells in the table and tap on the merge cells option.
- YOu will not have one huge cell on in the document.
- You can then alter the size of this cell to fit the document.
- After the table is converted into a border use the formatting tools to edit the way it looks.
- Tap inside the box to add content.
- Every page can have a separate border or you can copy the existing one and paste it to a different page.
- To delete the table select the table and tap and select delete from the menu
Read How to rotate Word online
How to add multiple page borders to word documents on iOS devices?
To add different borders to a document on your iOS device here are the steps you can follow.
- Start by downloading the word for iOS application and log in to your account.
- Find the word document you would like to edit and tap on it to open.
- Give the required permissions and select edit
- Got to the edit menu and select insert
- You will now find various options tap on and select table
- You will have a table on the screen. select all the cells and select merge cells
- Change the size of the table to fit the document.
- Tap inside the table to add content.
- You can also edit the way the table looks using the formatting options available.
- To delete the table select the table and tap and select delete from the menu
Page borders can be added to specific pages of a document. In this tutorial, we took you through how page borders can be added to the document. It then took you through how to add different page borders to the document. Here is a brief overview
- How to add and remove multiple page borders to word online documents
- Adding different borders on windows and mac systems.
- How to add multiple page borders on android and iOS mobile devices.
You may also like the following word online tutorials:
- How to add columns in word online?
- How to track changes in word online?
- Insert steps in word online
- How to insert a line in word online?
- How to insert equation in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.