Would you like to overlay images but are not really good at photo editing software? or do you need to edit or write an article and need photos to be clubbed together? You can do all this in Word itself. This tutorial takes you through how to move an image on top of another on Microsoft word online.
To overlay two or more images you will first need to insert the images from the insert tab. right-click on the images and select wrap text square. You can then drag the images and put them one on top of the other.
How do you overlay pictures in Microsoft Word?
Overlaying images in Word online is simple and can be done using the basic features. This means that you will not need to learn an additional skill or download a third-party application. Here is how you can overlay pictures in Microsoft Word.
- To overlay multiple images you will first need to insert those images into a document. You can for this open a new document in word online or use an existing document that requires images.
- once you have a new document insert the first image you would like to use.
- To insert an image click on the Insert option on the top ribbon.
- Under insert you will see a number of options. Click on Picture
- Now when it comes to pictures you can either select them from your device. Or you could use one saved on the cloud, on one drive. another option is to insert images from the internet itself.
- Choose the option that suits you the best. we for this tutorial chose pictures from the device itself and hence for this step we use the This Device option.
- Once you click on the This device option you will get a popup menu with file locations. Select the file from folders on your computer.
We have for this tutorial used two images, one with a few fruits placed together and another with a single mango. By the end of this tutorial, the idea was to insert the mango on the left corner over the image of the other fruits.
Text wrap and other tools
- The text wrap option is available in two ways one by right clicking on the image and second under the editing options.
- Click on the first image and select it.
- You can change teh dimensions of the image if required.
- Right click on it and select the Wrap Text option
- You will get a side menu with various options. As this is the image we are planning to use at the bottom we went on to select the Behind Text option.
- You can now proceed to work on the second image
- Click on the second image you will get theresizing dots
- drag the dots to resize the image
- Either right click on the image for the editing options or Click on Wrap text under the Picture menu
- From the options choose Square Left because thats where we plan on placing the image.
This is how the image turned out.
Placing images one over the other in Word Online
The previous section took you through the online version of Word. As the options are limited on the online version of Microsoft Word the editing choices are limited. In this section, we look at overlaying images in the desktop version of Word.
In the desktop version, you have more options when it comes to editing pictures. we will use the same pictures here as well so that you can compare.
- Start by inserting the images you would like to overlay
- Click on insert on the top ribbon and go to Pictures. You will have two options This Device and Online Picture. You can shoose the one that suits you better, We went with the first option as it was convenient.
- Once you click on This Device you will have a popup screen to choose the image from specific file locations.
- Select the image you would like to add and click on Insert.
- You can resize images by clicking on them and dragging the resizing tabs.
- Along with changing the size of the image you can also make corrections and change the overall look.
- To make corrections click on the image.
- you will have a Picture Format menu on the right
- under this you have a corrections option.
- click on it and you will have a drop down menu.
- choose the style you like best and your image will be instantly formatted.
- Along with changing the color you can also remove the background of images you choose.
- Select the image you would like to remove the background from
- Go to Picture Format
- Click on Remove Background
Text wrap and picture placement in Word Online
Now that we have edited the images it’s time to place them one over the other. For this, you can use the Wrap Text option. Unlike the online version, you have numerous options.
- Select the first image
- Go to Picture Format and Click on Wrap text
- You will now have a dropdown menu select Square
- Do the same with the second image
Note: You can select Erap Text by right-clicking on the image as well.
The square option lets you move images freely on the other image. By the end of the process, this is how the images looked.
How to place one image over the other on an Android device in Word Online?
Most of the tasks these days happen on phones and tablets. The best thing about using Microsoft word is that the function to wrap text or images and edit images is available on the application.
Here are steps to follow to move an image on top of another on Microsoft word online.
- Open a new document of look for an existing document that you would like to work on.
- Tap on the Edit option and you will see a menu at the bottom
- Tap on the arrow near home for an extended menu.
- select Insert from the list
- From the various options Select Picture.
- You will then be able to either choose from pictures on your device or you can take a new picture.
- Pictures added can be cropped, corrected, arranged, edited. choose the options that you like and the ones that suit your needs.
- Tap on the image and select the wrap text option
- Select Square
- You can now move and place the second anywhere on the first one.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, this is possible. For this, you will need to insert an image on the document and use the Wrap text option. Select Square and you will be able to move the image freely. The online version however has specific options like square left or square right.
Hope you found this tutorial article helpful, it took you through
- How to move an image on top of another on Microsoft word online
- How do you overlay pictures in Microsoft Word?
- Text wrap and other tools
- Placing images one over the other in Word.
- Text wrap and picture placement
- How to place one image over the other on an Android device?
- Can you place one image over the other on a mac device?
Here are some articles you may like
- How to double space in word online?
- How to insert text box in word online?
- How do you eliminate extra spacing in word online
- How to make an online form in Word
- How to insert a URL for an online webpage in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.