Text boxes are generally used to draw attention to specific text in a document. Simply put it is a box that can be inserted anywhere in a document to insert text. In addition, it can be moved around at your convenience. In this tutorial, we will look at how to insert text box in word online.
How to insert text box in word online? To insert a textbox, click on the insert tab > select drawing > select insert and finally click on Text box. Remember to save and close the dialogue box to complete the process. Once on the document, the text box can be moved around to edit simply click and edit.
How to insert text box in word online?
Follow these steps to insert a text box in your word online document.
Step 1 – Open the word online document that needs to be edited
Step 2 – Click on Insert
This will give you access to a number of options like table, header, footer emoji, check out the list in the picture below. The Text box option can be found in the Drawing section.
Step 3 – Click on Drawing
Clicking on the drawing option will open up a popup window with options. This section will also give you a preview of what will be added to the document.
This way you are sure of what is going to be added to the document and how it will look. Here you can edit the text box, its content and all there is to the text box.
Step 4 – Click on Text box
once the Text box option is selected you will need to actually draw it. for this all you need to do is, left-click in one corner of the box and drag it without releasing the click. The size of the text box can be edited whenever required.
Text, pictures, and whatever you desire can then be added to this text box in simple steps. The next section deals with editing the text box and the formatting options available.
This is how to insert text box in word online.
Read How to insert shapes in Microsoft word online?
How to edit a text box in word online?
After a textbox is inserted. There are two major editing options available.
- Editing the text in the text box and
- Formatting the shape of the text box
Editing the text in the text box
This can be done by clicking on the Text option in the Drawing preview.
Read: How to add page numbers in word online?
By clicking on Text you will have access to a wide range of formatting options. This includes:
- Changing the font style – while formatting the text in the text box the font size can easily be changed by just clicking on the arrow. This will give you a dropdown menu to the various font options available. Choose from the list by just clicking on the font of your choice.
- Changing the font size – like normal text in word you can also change the size of the text in the text box. This can be done by using the sizing option available in the formatting section. Simply click on the desired size and you are good to go.
- Formatting text with Bold, Italic, Underline and strikethrough – These are again common text formatting options that are available at the click of a button. All you need to do is select the text that needs to be formatted and then select the option you need.
- Changing text color – There are various colors to choose from when it comes to text boxes in Word online. For this all you need to do it click on the arrow near the A underlined with a color. This is open a dropdown menu with the colors available. To select simply click on the color of your choice. The text will need to be selected if pre written.
- Changing text alignment – The last formatting option in this section is alignment. With a simple click, you can change the alignment of the text in the box to left, right, or center.
Also, read, How to insert a line in word online?
Formatting shape of text box in word online
This can be done by clicking on the Shape option in the Drawing preview.
By clicking on Shape you will have access to a wide range of formatting options. This includes:
- Changing the shape of the text box – It may so happen that you are not a fan of the good old rectangle box and need to spice things up. This option is particularly helpful for situations like these. Simply click on the arrow and you will have a wide range of options to choose from.
- Adding color to the entire shape – Choosing the shape fill option will enable you to add color to your text box. Like font color, there are a number of colors to choose from.
- Formatting shape outline – This option lets you customize the outline of the text box. The weight and color of the box can be formatted using this option.
- Arranging the text box – This is particularly helpful when the box is viewed as part of the document. Here you can either move the box forward backward to the back or to the front depending on pre-existing text on the document.
The Undo option can be used to revise changes made to the text box.
After editing the text box be sure to click the Save and close option. The text box will then be saved. It will appear on your word online document.
Read How to insert equation in word online?
How to insert text box in word on Mac OS
To insert a text box in word online on Mac OS follow these steps
- Open the document you need to edit
- Got to Insert
- Click on the Text box option under the tab
- You will have two options Draw Text Box and Vertical Text Box. The first one is horizontally aligned while the other is vertically aligned.
- To insert the textbox all you need to do is drag the box to the desired size while holding down the left click
- If you need to add text to the box click or tap inside the box
- You can then type or paste text inside the box with ease
- The text box can be formatted using the various options available
- To move around the box, hove the mouse on the edges when it turns into a + click and drag without releasing the left click.
Also, read, How to separate pages in word online?
How to insert text box in word online on an Android device?
Inserting a text box on an Android device is simple. Follow these simple steps.
- Open the document you would like to edit on the word app. you can alternatively use the one drive app or the mobile browser to sign into your Microsoft account.
- Once the document is open in the top right corner click on the editing option
- The editing option will open a menu at the bottom.
- click on the arrow near the home button and select Insert from the dropdown list.
- Under Insert you will see a number of options – scroll down to Text box and select it.
- A textbox will then appear on your screen where your cursor is blinking.
- You can move the textbox around by dragging it holding the + sign.
- The text inside can be edited using the Edit Text option
- you can also copy and paste text from other sources or copy and paste text from one text box to the other.
- Once you have finished editing the text click on the tick in the top left corner to save the changes.
Read How to show ruler in word online
Hope this tutorial was helpful. this article took you through
- How to insert text box in word online?
- How to edit a text box in word online?
- Editing the text in the text box
- Formatting the shape of the text box
- How to insert text box in word on Mac OS
- How to insert text box in word on an Android device?
Related word online tutorials:
- How to delete a document in word online?
- How to sign a document in Word Online?
- How to double space in word online?
- How to put spacing between bullet points in Word Online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.