Adding simple shapes in Word online does not require special skills. You can add simple shapes and designs to the word online document you are working on using a few simple steps. In this article, we will take you through how to add a horizontal line in word online.
To add a horizontal or verticle line to your word online document you can start by clicking on the insert tab in the top ribbon of the document. You will see a Drawing option next to the picture. Click on it for a preview of shapes to add to the document. Under shapes chick online. Click and drag to insert the line, select save, and close to add it to the document.
How to add a horizontal line in word online?
Horizontal lines can be added to word online documents by following these simple steps.
- Login to your office online account, and access the document you would like to edit.
- Alternatively, you could log in to One Drive and access the document from the drive.
- Double click on the name of the document to open it.
- Click on the spot where you would like to add the horizontal line. The like will show up on the document where the cursor is.
- In the top ribbon of the document, you will see the Insert tab. Click on it for options.
- Click and select Drawing
- You will have a popup menu titled Drawing(Preview)
- Click on and select Insert
- Select Shapes
- From the dropdown menu select the line
- To insert the line you will need to click on the canvas and drag it till you have the desired length.
- Click on the Line to open the editing menu
- You can change the color and also arrange the line as you desire.
- After you have made the desired changes click on Save and Close.
- The like will now appear in the document where the cursor is.
How to add a vertical line in word online?
Here are the steps you can follow to insert a vertical line into the word online document you are working on.
- Start by opening the document you would like to edit by logging in to your account.
- In the top ribbon of the document click on the Insert tab.
- From the options below click on and select Drawing
- You will now have a popup window, Go to insert
- Select shapes and you will have a dropdown menu
- Choose line. To add the line to the document it will have to be inserted into the canvas. To insert click and drag the mouse without releasing the click.
- After you have the line click on Save and close.
- The line will now show up in the document where the cursor is.
How to insert a horizontal line in word Mac?
Here are the steps you can follow if you are working on word for Mac and need to add a horizontal line in the document.
- If you already have the desktop application for Word you will need open the document you are working on. To open a document search for the name and double-click to open.
- If the document you would like to add is created using word online you will need to download the document to work on it using word for mac. For this, log in to your account. You can also access your documents from One Drive.
- Download the document you need to work on. Open the document by double-clicking on it. As a default, it will open in Word for Mac.
Whatever method you use to access the document here are the steps to follow to insert a line. The line will show where the cursor is. Hence, it is essential to move the cursor to where you would like to insert the horizontal line in the document.
Steps to insert a horizontal line in word
- In the top ribbon click on Insert.
- From the options available click on Shapes. You will have a dropdown menu
- Scroll through the options available and you will see the different types of lines available. Click on the one that you need to add to the document.
- Once you click on the line you can drag and insert a line into the document.
- Click on the starting spot and drag without releasing the click till you have the desired length.
- To edit the line all you need to do is click on it. You will have a new tab called Shape Format in the top ribbon.
- Choose from the various colors available or from the different ways to arrange the line against the text.
- Save the document before exiting. Use the Keyboard shortcut Command + S.
How to add a vertical line in word for Mac?
Follow these steps to add a vertical line in word for Mac
- Open the document you would like to add the line to by double clicking on it
- In the top ribbon of the document click on Insert.
- Go to shapes and click on the arrow for options
- From the drop-down menu click on Line
- To insert the line you will need to click and drag without releasing the click.
- Once the line is added to the document click on it to select and format it using the design tab.
How to insert a line in word for Windows?
When it comes to inserting shapes in Word documents on Windows here are simple steps to follow.
- If your document is created on word online and you would like to work on the desktop version you will need to download the document. For this login to Office.com or Onedrive.com and access the document that you would like to edit.
- Alternatively, if you already have the document saved on the computer you can double-click on the document and open it.
- Once you have the document you can easily download it by right-clicking on the name and selecting download.
- Go to the downloaded folder and double-click on the document to open it.
- The document will open in Word for Windows as a default.
- Before inserting the line, move the cursor to the spot where you would like the line to appear.
- Click on Insert in the top ribbon
- Under insert click on and select shapes
- You will have a dropdown menu will all the shapes you can add to the document.
- Click on Line to select it
- Once it appears in the document you will need to click on the starting point and drag the mouse across the document without releasing the click till you have the desired length.
- Click on the line inserted to format it.
- Once selected, you will have a new tab in the top ribbon called Shape Format
- You can change the color, and size, and align the line with the text in the document from this tab.
- Use Ctrl + S to save the document before you close it.
How to add a vertical line in Word for Windows?
Follow these steps to insert a vertical line to a word document on a windows system
- Start by double-clicking on the document that you need to work on.
- Go to Insert in the top ribbon of the document.
- Click on Shapes and you will have a drop-down menu.
- Select Line
- Click on the document and drag the mouse to insert the line. You can adjust it with the mouse.
- Use the Design menu to change the color and other details.
How to insert lines in Word keyboard shortcut?
A vertical line is used to separate sentences or information in a document. Here is a guide on how you can use your keyboard to insert this line into the document you are working on.
- Open the document you would like to work on
- Click on the spot where you would like to add the vertical line.
- Press the Shift + \ key together (This works for both Mac as well as Windows)
- You will have |. You can use this to separate sentences or words in your document.
Horizontal lines can be added to documents to separate paragraphs or demark a change in subject. There are different types of lines that you can add to a page using your keyboard, here are the steps you can follow.
- Open the document you need to make changed to
Depending on the type of line you are looking to add to the document here are the key combinations that you can use. These combinations work for both Mac as well as Windows systems.
- Three – (dashes) and Enter gives you a single line
- Three = (equal to sign) and Enter gives you a double line
- Three * (Shift + 8) and Enter gives you a dotted line
- Three _ (Shift + -) and Enter gives you a line
- Three # (Shift + 3) and Enter gives you a triple line
To delete these lines from the document all you need to do is hit the backspace or delete key.
How to add a line near a paragraph in Word?
Lines can be added in the margin of a paragraph or within it. All this can be done from the home tab. Here is how to add a line to your document from the home tab depending on the type of line you would like to include.
Adding a vertical line on the left of the paragraph
- Select the paragraph you would like to add the line next to
- Click on Home in the Top ribbon
- Go to the Paragraph section and click on the arrow next to borders for more options
- Select Left border
How to add a vertical line on the right of the paragraph
- Select the paragraph or the sentences you would like to cover
- Click on the home tab and in the paragraph section click on the arrow next to Borders
- Select Right border
Adding a horizontal line on the right of the paragraph
There are three options when it comes to adding a horizontal line to the paragraph. You can either line the tip or the bottom of the paragraph from the borders menu in the home tab.
Click on Home > paragraph > Borders > Bottom border / top border
The second method is by selecting Horizontal line
Click on Home > paragraph > Borders > Horizontal Line
Adding lines around the paragraph
To add a line around a paragraph to create a border you can go to the home tab and under paragraph click on Outside Borders.
Click on Home > Paragraph > Borders > Outside borders
To remove these borders you can select No borders
Home > Paragraph > Borders > No borders
How to insert multiple lines in Word?
To insert multiple lines in word online follow these steps
- Open the document that you need to edit
- Click on the spot where you need to add the lines
- Go to Insert in the top ribbon
- Under Insert, you will see the Drawing option
- Click on it for a popup window
- Go to shapes
- Drag and draw a line
- Now click under the existing line to unelect it
- Go to shapes and click on ‘line’
- Repeat the process until you have all the lines you require
- change the color and other details needed
- Click on Save and close
- The lines will appear in the document
Insert multiple lines in Word for Mac and Windows
To insert multiple lines in Word for Mac follow these steps
- Open the document you would want to edit
- Click on the spot where you want to insert the line
- Go to Insert in the top ribbon
- From the options available click and select Shapes for a dropdown menu
- Click on line to select it
- Drag and draw a line by holding down the mouse click
- Repeat the process for the other lines that need to be added
- Format the lines by using the formatting options available
- Save the document before closing.
How to add a horizontal or vertical line in word for Android?
To insert a horizontal or vertical line into a word document on an Android device is simple. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Download the Word application for Android and login to your account. This way you will have access to all the documents created and saved on the drive.
- Tap on the document you would like to add the line to
- Enable editing by tapping on the editing option
- Tap on the editing symbol to open the editing menu at the bottom of the screen.
- You will see Home.
- Tap on home for more options
- Tap on Insert to enter the insert menu
- Scroll down to Shapes and tap on it
- Select the Line option from the shapes in the menu
- A line will appear in your document
- Tap on the line for formatting options.
- You can rotate the line if you need a vertical line
- Tap on the check mark on the top to save the changes made to the document.
How to add a horizontal or vertical line in Word for iOS?
Here are the steps you can follow if you need to add a line to your word document using an iOS device.
- Use a browser to log in to your office online account or download the word application from the store.
- Login to your account from the application to access the files stored on the drive
- Enable editing by tapping on the icon.
- Open the editing menu
- Tap on home for more options
- Tap on Insert for the menu
- Scroll down to find shapes
- Tap on and select line
- A line will appear in the document
- Tap on it for formatting options. The line added to the document can be rotated to convert it into a vertical line.
- Once you are happy with the line save the document and close.
How to make a line go across a page in word online?
Having a line run across the document is simpler than it sounds. Follow these steps
- Start by inserting a line into the Word online document you are working on.
- Click on Insert in the top ribbon and select drawing.
- In the Drawing Preview, click on Insert and go to Shapes
- Now select Line from the list
- Drag and draw a line
- Make the necessary changes in the color, width, etc.
- Click on Save and close
Once you have the line added to the document you can change the size based on your requirements.
- To increase the length of the line simply hover the mouse over the line.
- The mouse pointer will change shape to an arrow pointing in the direction you want to increase the length from.
- Simply click and drag the arrow to the desired length.
By increasing the length of the line it will be long enough to stretch across the page. The line added to the document can be moved around
- Hover the mouse pointer over the line
- The pointer will change its shape and turn into a cross with arrows pointing in all four directions.
- Click and hold the left-click
- You can now easily move the line around the document.
If you want to add a horizontal line running across the document you could also use the keyboard shortcut.
- Click where you want the line
- Type – thrice
- Hit the enter key
You will now have a line spanning across the document
How to insert a vertical line in Word?
If you want the line to stretch across the page vertically all you need to do is increase the length and turn it around.
- Hover the mouse over the line and click on it
- The rotate option will become visible
- Click on the white circle and hold while you move the mouse
- The line will start to rotate
- Continue till you have a vertical line
- Increase the length of the line till it spans across the page.
How to insert a double line in Word Online?
There are two ways to add a double line into a Word Online document, you could either use the keyboard shortcut or use the mouse. Here is how
To insert a double line using the keyboard
- Click where you would like to insert the line
- Type = thrice
- Hit the Enter key
- You will have a double line running across the document.
Another way to insert a double line is to add a line from the insert tab.
- Add the line from the insert tab and drag it across the document
- Now click on the line and select it
- Right-click on the line and select copy. Alternatively, you could use Ctrl + C in Windows and Command + C on Mac
- Now click next to the line the cursor will move to this spot
- Right-click and select paste. Alternatively, you could use Ctrl + V for Windows and Command + V for mac.
- Click on the line and move the lines as close as you would like.
This tutorial article took you through How to add a horizontal line in word online. You can easily include a single line or lines in Word for Mac and windows by clicking on insert and shapes. In Word for android and iOS enable editing and add a shape.
In word online the process is a little longer as it includes going to the Insert tab and clicking on Drawing and then adding the line to the canvas and then moving it to the document.
Horizontal and vertical lines can be added to the document using the keyboard as well. You can border paragraphs and other text from the home tab using the borders section.
Hope you found this information useful. Check out similar word online tutorials:
- How to make an arrow in Microsoft word online
- How to print Word document with background image?
- add different footers in word online
- How to change background color on word online page
- How to add different borders in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.