In Word Online, you can get the number of words typed into the documents easily. In this tutorial article, we will take you through how to get word count on word online. We will also look at how to check word count in Word mobile.
There are two ways in which you can check the word count in word online. The first one is by checking the bottom left corner of the document. Word count details are also available in the Review tab. In the top ribbon click on review and then click on and select word count.
How to get word count on word online?
There are two ways to view the word count in a word online document. This section takes you through both the methods and the steps to follow.
Checking word count using the Review Tab
- Login to Office online and go to word online. You can also log in to one Drive and access the document you would like to edit.
- Start typing in content. If you already have content, Word updates the word count automatically.
- Click on Review in the top ribbon of the document.
- From the options available, click on and select Word count.
- From the drop-down menu click on Word count.
- You will now have a popup menu
- The popup menu will show all information about the word count, the time it will take to read the content, the number of characters and paragraphs as well as the readability score.
- After reviewing the information click on OK to close the menu.
If you want to view the word count at the bottom of the screen here are the steps to follow.
Also, read How to edit a Word document on mac?
- Open the document you would like to edit. This can be done by logging in to the Office online website and signing in using your login credentials.
- Click on Review in the top ribbon of the document
- From the options available click on Word count. You will have a drop-down menu.
- Tick the box next to Show word count.
- You can click inside the document to close the dropdown menu
- As you type the word count will run.
The Word count indicator is located in the bottom ribbon near the page number. You can click on it for more information.
How to view word count in word for Windows?
For Windows systems, you can follow these steps to view the word count of a particular document.
- Login to Office online or One Drive and download the document you would like to work on.
- Double click on the document to open it
- Click on Review in the top ribbon
- From the options available click and select word count
- Here you can see the number of words in the document.
An easier way to have an overview of the number of words in the document is by looking at the bottom ribbon. To the extreme left you will see a word count indicator. You can click on it for more information on the number of characters with or without space and so on.
How to view word count in word mac?
When working on the desktop version of Word online here are the steps you can follow to view the word count.
- Login to Office online and download the document you would like to work on.
- You could also access the document from the one drive application for Mac.
- Once you have the document double click to open it.
- Click on the Review tab in the top ribbon of the document.
- From the various options available click and select the word count symbol.
From here you can have an overview of the number of words in the document, the number of characters with or without space as well as the number of lines and paragraphs in the document.
The word count in Word for mac is also available in the bottom ribbon of the document. From here you can have a quick overview of the number of words.
If you are looking for more information like the number of characters with or without space you can click on the Word count. The popup window will have all the necessary information.
Also, check out, How to edit a word document with a friend online
Does word Online include footnotes in word count?
Word online does not include footnotes and end notes in the word count. If you need to add it to the count you will need to follow these steps.
- Download the document you would like to work with
- Open the document and click on the Review tab in the top ribbon
- From the options available click on and select Word count
- You will have a popup menu with details on the number of words and characters in the document.
- You will see an option ‘Include footnotes and endnotes’. Click on the box next to it
- A blue tick will appear.
- Click on OK
By checking the box next to Include footnotes and end notes you will see that the characters in them will be included in the word count. Uncheck the box if you would like to exclude these from the word count.
How to view word count in Word for android?
Here are the steps you can follow when you need to view the word count in word for Android.
- Download the word application for android and log in to your office online account.
- You will now have access to all the files created and stored on the drive
- Open the document you would like to edit. Tap on the editing icon to enable editing.
- Tap on the editing menu option on the top to open the menu
- The home menu will have an arrow next to it. Tap on the arrow for more options
- From the menu select review. Scroll down till you find the word count option.
- Tap on it to get an overview of the number of words in the document.
How to view word count in Word for iOS?
To view, the word count of documents in Word for iOS here is the steps you can follow.
- Access office online or one drive from the browser or download the application from the store
- You could also download the word application for ios and log in to your office online account to access the documents.
- Tap on the document you would like to edit.
- Enable editing by tapping on the editing icon.
- Open the editing menu. You will see Home on the bottom of your screen.
- Tap on the arrow next to home for a menu, then From the menu select Review.
- Scroll down till you find the word count option.
- Tap on it to get an overview of the number of words in the document.
This article took you through how to check the word count in Word online. It also took you through how to check the word count along with the number of characters with and without space on Mac and Windows systems. Finally, it took you through the process on iOS and Android devices.
You may like the following word online tutorials:
- How to print Word document with background image?
- How to add different footers in word online
- change background color on word online page
- How to track changes in word online?
- How to insert shapes in Microsoft word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.