Are you working on a project that requires collaboration? Did you know that Word online is created with this exact idea in mind? That’s the reason it is extremely easy to create and share word online documents. You can track changes and so so much more. In this tutorial, we take you through how to edit a word document with a friend online.
To edit a Word document with a friend you will need to share it with them. This can be done by clicking on the Share icon in word online You can then add your friend’s email id or create a sharable link. The only difference between the two is that anyone with the link will be able to access the document as compared to exclusive access when shared to a particular email.
How to edit a word document with a friend online?
If you are looking for ways in which you can edit a Word document with a friend online here are the steps you can follow.
- Start by logging in to your office online account. You can also login to one drive and
- Once you have logged in you will see all the documents created on Word online.
From the landing page of office online you have 3 ways in which you can share a document with a friend.
- Start by right-clicking on the document you would like to share.
- A dropdown menu will open with various options
- Click on share
Sharing a word online document using the icon
- When you have the file names in front of you, you will see a share icon to the right.
- Click on it for sharing options
- On the right of the document selected you will see three dots.
- Click on the dots for a dropdown menu
- Select Share
Once you click on the Share option, here are the steps you need to follow.
- The extended menu will have three options, sharing via Email, link, or teams.
- If you choose to share the document via email you will need to enter your friend’s email id. They can use this link to make changes to the document.
- The Copy link option on the other hand is more convenient as you do not need to mention the email id. This is not a very safe option as anyone with the link can access the document.
- The third option is to send the document via Teams where you can collaborate with colleagues easily.
Along with choosing how to share the document you will need to make sure you allow the person you are sharing the document with to edit the document. This can be done by selecting the corresponding option.
How do I edit a Word document with another person?
To collaborate on a document and work simultaneously with others you will need to share the document. Here are the steps to follow when sharing a word online document you are working on.
- On the document you are working on, you will see the share option in the top ribbon next to comments.
- Click on share for more options
- A popup menu with sharing option will open.
- You can enter the email ID of the person you would like to share the document with.
- Add a message to the link and hit send.
- You can now collaborate with your friend on the document.
- Another option is to copy the link to the document and share it with someone you would like to collaborate with. simply click on Copy.
- The link will be saved on your clipboard. Simply paste it into emails or messages to friends.
You can change the settings on the link sent to your friends using the link formatting menu.
- You can choose the people you would like to share the document with by ticking on the option applicable.
- The permissions can also be edited for the same menu. To collaborate make sure you Allow Editing.
- After selecting the options required click on Apply
To share documents created on word online on Mac you can follow these steps.
- Open your browser and log in to Office online. You can also use the one-drive application.
- use the sharing options on the home screen. This can mean right-clicking the document, using the share icon, or the three dots on the page.
- Once you have the share menu add the recipient details and hit send.
If you are using office 365 on your Mac you can open word and click on the share option in the top ribbon. Add the recipient credentials and share the document.
After sharing the document you can easily edit it with your friend and everything will be saved on the cloud.
Yes, you can share word documents while working on Windows systems. Here is how it is done.
- Login to Office online and click on Word. You can also access the files from the one-drive application.
- Once you have the document open it and use the share option on the top.
- You can also do it from the main page by right-clicking the document and chocking on share. You can also use the share icon or the three dots on the right to get the share option.
- once you have the share menu add the email ids of people you would like to collaborate with.
- You can also copy a link to the document that you can share.
- Be sure to enable editing.
How to collaborate on word document files on Android?
Here is how you can collaborate using word for android
- Download the Word application for Android
- Login to your account. All the word online documents will sync to the device.
- Tap on the document you would like to share
- Select the share option on top
- add the email id or copy the link
- edit permissions
- paste the link into messages or emails.
How to collaborate on word document files on iOS?
Here is how to share a word online document using iOS.
- Download the word application for iOS or the one drive application. login to your office online account.
- Search for the word online document that needs to be edited
- Long tap on the document and select share
- Add recipients
- You can include a message if required
- Check if the person has permission to edit
- You can also copy the link to the document and share it with others.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, it is possible to share a Word online document with multiple users. They can also make simultaneous edits to the document. In word online you have an option to check the edits made to the document. Every user has a color assigned and you will see edits they make in the same color.
To share documents that can be edited by everyone you need to change the link settings. click on Share and go to the popup menu. Now go to link settings. Here Allow Editing and see that the right option is selected in the link-sharing section.
Editing a word document with a friend online is easy. All you need to do is share the document with them using the link in the share menu or send it to them via mail. Be sure to allow editing and you are good to go. Remember, you can share the document with multiple users as long as they have permission to edit. It covers the below things:
- How to allow others to edit word document
- Share word document online for editing
- Shared word document online
- Multiple users edit word document simultaneously
- How do I edit a Word document with another person
- Can multiple people work on Word online
- Can multiple users edit a Word document at the same time
You may like the following word online tutorials:
- How to add different borders in word online?
- How to use the approximate symbol in word online
- add different page numbers in word online
- How to add different headers in word online?
- How to put last name and page number on word mac
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.