Links added to documents increase authenticity. They are also helpful when you need to provide background information. This tutorial article looks at how to insert a bookmark in Word Online. It also explores the different aspects of adding links to a document.
To insert a bookmark into a document in Work online click on Insert in the top menu. You can then click on the three dots on the extreme right. Then, go to Link. you will have a dropdown menu. From this menu click on bookmarks and select the type you want to add to the document.
How to insert a bookmark in Word Online?
Here is how you can add a Bookmark to the word online document you are working on.
- Login to Word online and open the document you would like to work on.
- Click and move the cursor to the spot where you would like to add the bookmark.
- If you want to add a bookmark to the text entered you will need to select the text.
- After you have done the previous steps click on Insert in the top ribbon of the document.
- From the options available click on the three dots on the three dots in the extreme right of the menu. You will have a dropdown menu
- From the options click on Insert. You will have another dropdown menu.
- Select Bookmarks from the menu for more options.
The bookmark dropdown menu has three options that users can choose from.
- New Bookmark – by using this you can add a bookmark to the selected text in the document. You can also add a bookmark directly to the document by clicking and moving the cursor to where you would like the link to appear.
- Recent links – this option lets you see all the bookmarks that have been added to the document. You will see a list of bookmarks added to the document.
- Show on Document (with a check box) – by checking the box you will see the bookmarks added to the document while editing the document. Unchecking this option will hide all the bookmarks til users provide appropriate instructions.
Check out, How to insert a check box in Word Online?
How to show bookmarks in Word online?
Here is how you can show bookmarks in a work online document you are working on.
- Start by opening the document you would like to work on. For this, all you need to do is log in to Office online or locate the word online document on your computer.
- Once you have the document you will need to click on Insert in the top ribbon.
- You will see three dots on the extreme right of the menu. click on the dots for more options.
- Click on Insert at the top of the menu. You will have additional options on the right.
- From these options click on Bookmarks
The bookmarks menu has the Show on Document option, if this option is checked you will see all the bookmarks that have been added to the document.
To hide the bookmarks all you need to do is follow the steps mentioned above and then uncheck the box against Show on Document.
How to edit bookmarks in Word?
Adding a Bookmark takes a few simple steps. In this section, we will look at how to edit a bookmark that has been added to a Word document.
- Start by selecting “Bookmark” from the “Links” group under the “Insert” tab.
- Click on Insert in the top ribbon and then go to the Bookmark section.
- Next, click Go To after selecting the desired bookmark.
By that time, you will see the bookmark texts available for choosing. Select “Delete.”
Select Bookmark-> Select “Go To” Input “Delete” Then type the name of a new
- bookmark and click “Add.”
- To display the field codes, press “Alt+ F9.”
- To display field codes, press “Alt+ F9.”
We advise you to use the “Find and Replace” option if you have numerous cross-references. You can open the “Find and Replace” dialogue box by pressing “Ctrl+ H.” In the text boxes labeled “Find what” and “Replace with,” respectively, type “REF DWORDR” and “REF DWORDR2.” The first bookmark had the name “DWORDR,” while the second had the name “DWORDR2.”
Select “Replace All” next.
How to rename bookmarks in Word?
Bookmarks are helpful when you need to jump from one topic to the other in a document. Any bookmark you’ve added to the document can be given a new name. Here is how to rename a bookmark.
- Select the bookmark you wish to rename, by clicking on it
- Now Double click on the bookmark. The bookmarks on that topic will open in a new Bookmark dialogue/popup window.
- Click on the bookmark title that you would like to edit.
- Enter a new name for the bookmark in the ID (New bookmark) area.
- Click on Update. This modifies the topic’s bookmark name.
- Now click on Save to keep the changes made to the name.
Also, check out, What is the root symbol in Word Online?
How to automatically create bookmarks in Word?
Automation is the best when you use a feature or command frequently. Here is how you can automatically create a bookmark in Word.
- Highlight words in the glossary
- Bookmark the word highlighted
- With the bookmarked word highlighted, press Ctrl + C (for Windows) and Command + C (for Mac)
- Open Find and Replace on windows using Ctrl + H and Command + H for Mac
- You will need to add a word that you would want to find
After you have added this word it’s time to replace it.
- To replace a word click on the replace section
- type ^c Click Find Next to find the first occurrence of the word. Select Yes when prompted to start at the beginning of the document.
- For each instance of the word, choose to replace it.
Note that if you select Replace All, a link will be created if the word is found as part of another word
- Repeat this process for each glossary word.
How to edit bookmarks in Word for Mac?
Here is how you can edit bookmarks in Word for Mac.
- Open Microsoft Word on your mac and a previously bookmarked document.
- Find and click the Edit tab in the top ribbon of the document
- In the Edit menu, hover over Find
- When the menu appears, click on Move.
- Under Go To, click the Bookmarks link.
- In the dialog box that appears, search for “Enter bookmark name” and click the name of the bookmark you want to move.
- Then click Go.
Finally, click Close to exit the window and go to your bookmarks
This article looked at how to insert a bookmark in Word Online. It also took you through the process of editing a bookmark that has been added to a document. Along with this, the tutorial article looked at shortcuts that can be used to insert bookmarks into the document you are working on.
Hope you found this tutorial helpful. Check out similar articles here:
- How to make a bar graph on Microsoft Word Online?
- Where is mailings tab in Word Online?
- How to stretch an image full width in Word Online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.