Titles and headings help readers understand the context of the text. They help break the text into smaller sections that can be better understood. In this tutorial article, we take you through how to insert headings in word online.
To insert a heading into a text on word online start by clicking on the Home tab. From the various options click on Styles. You will have a dropdown menu with the various styles available. Here you can choose Heading 1 or Heading 2.
How do you change the heading style in Word Online?
Headings are an important formatting tool to make the text understandable and also more visually pleasing. You can easily format a title or heading in a way that stands out from the rest of the text. Here is how to insert headings in word online
- Start by opening a document in Word online. This can be done by logging in to the site. You could also log on to officeonline.com and then open a word document from there.
- Once you have the document open click on the Home tab
- From the formatting options available under the Home tab click on styles. The one with a brush on A.
- You will now have a drop-down menu with different options. From there you can choose either Heading 1 or 2 depending on how important the text is.
- There are two options when it comes to adding Heading 1 or 2 formattings. You can either choose to format the space before typing in the text. Or you could format it after the text is inserted.
- To format the text after it had been entered. Start by selecting the text by clicking on the first word and dragging the selection to the last word of the sentence. After the text is selected you can easily format it.
How to insert headings in word online on an Android device?
Phones are extremely convenient when it comes to editing and sharing documents. With the word application, available for free on the Play Store, you can do so much. Here is how to insert headings in word online on an Android device.
- Start by opening the word document on your phone or tablet. You can access files from word online by logging into the website, One drive account, or office online. once you have the application everything saved on the drive will sync on your device as well.
- Once you have the document in front of you start by tapping on the edit icon.
- Start by selecting the text you would like to format.
- You will then have the edit document icon. Select it to open a menu at the bottom of your screen.
- The Styles option is under the Home tab. Once you are in the home section scroll down till you find Styles.
- Select Styles
- Under styles, you have the Heading 1 and Heading 2 options.
- Select the one that fits your text best.
Please note that the process will need to be repeated for other headings in your document.
Check out How to put a subscript in word online?
Steps on how to create headings in word
If you have the desktop application of word the Heading option is a little more accessible. Here is how you can format text to a heading.
- Start by opening the document you are working on or open a new blank document.
- Heading style can be either applied to pre-existing text or you can apply the formatting and then start typing the text.
- When you have the text selected or the cursor on the spot where you need the formatting.
- Click on Home
- Under home, there are a number of formatting options. Go to the Styles section
- Here you can see how the heading 1 and heading 2 styles will look.
- Select the one you would like to include in your document.
Related article How to move an image on top of another on Microsoft word online
How to create headings in word on Mac?
Here is how you can add heading to text on your mac device.
- Start by logging in to word online and either create a new blank document or open an existing document.
- If you have pre-entered text select the text that you would like to use as a header. you can also select the header option and then add the text later.
- Once the document is open click on home.
- Under home, you can click on the styling options
- Select either heading 1 or heading 2 depending on your preference
Creating heading in word on mac using the desktop application
The desktop application of Word has formatting options more accessible. When it comes to adding heading styles here is what needs to be done.
- Start by opening a word document. you can use an existing document or create a new blank document
- If you are formatting text that is already existing you will need to select the text that needs to be styled. For this left click on the first letter of the sentence and drag the mouse without releasing the click to the last word.
- Once the text is selected click on the Home tab
- You can not click on Heading styles available.
Headings are great to better the legibility of the document. They are particularly useful when it comes to scanning through documents and understanding the crux of them. Hope you found this tutorial useful. It took you through
- How do you change the heading style in Word Online?
- How to insert headings in word online on an Android device?
- Steps on how to create headings in word
- How to create headings in word on Mac?
- Creating heading in word on mac using the desktop application
Check out similar tutorial articles here
- How to change your page color in word online?
- Understanding how to insert online pictures in word online
- Steps on how to transfer files to word online
- How to show white space in word online
- How to remove space after paragraph in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.