Excel sheets are great for the assimilation of data. But what do you do when all the data you require is on a word document? This tutorial article takes you through, how to convert Word file into Excel file online.
To convert a file that is in Word, you will need to use the ‘Save as’ option under file. Save the document as a text file and then import that into a new Excel document.
Converting a Word document into an Excel file
It is a common occurrence that users use the table option in Word to enter data. This limits options when it comes to working with the data. Excel on the other hand is built in a way that it can work with large amounts of data, especially numerical.
When it comes to data in Word you will have two types:
- Data that is formulated and structured well like the one on top and
- Data that has a rough format but no specific structure. This can be data that has been copied from an existing table but has lost its formatting in the copying and pasting process.
The process of conversion is almost the same for both these categories of data. For simplicity, we will take each one of them separately and understand the process.
Read How to add columns in word online?
Changing a non-structured Word file into Excel
Structured tables in word documents are ones that are well-formatted, these come with rows and columns and the text is perfectly aligned. Unstructured ones on the other hand are just data-oriented and have text without the gridlines or distinction.
When it comes to converting such data into excel the steps are simpler. Here is how it can be done in a few steps.
- Open the Word document that contains the table or content.
- It most cases the table will be part of a document and hence you will need to copy the table and paste it to another document. If it is a stand alone document ignore this step
- Once you have copied the table in another document click on File in the top ribbon
- From the list select Save As
- Select the folder you would like to save the document to. The recently opened folders will show on the right. You can either choose from among them or you can choose another folder to save your document in.
- You will get another popup window where you can edit the name of the document and specify the file type.
- Change the name of the file
- In the Save as type section you will need to specify Rich Text Format. for this click on the arrow near the option and scroll down to find Rich Text Format
- Recheck the information and click on save.
The document you have just saved should look a little different from a word document.
Read How to double space in word online?
Transforming a word document to Excel
Once you have the file converted you will need to import it into an Excel sheet. here is how to import a Txt file into Excel.
- Start by opening a new excel document
- Once you have a document open click on Data in the top ribbon
- Select the From Text / CSV option from among the various options available.
- You will get a pop up wondow to choose files from your computer
- From the documents look for the one you have created by saving the word document
- Once you find the document, click on it to select it.
- Now click on Import
- Once you import the document you will get a preview.
- If you are ok the preview select the Load option
Check out How to add page numbers in word online?
You can use the Transform Data option to edit the way your data looks.
- Here you can add columns or other data. You can also change the color and combine sections.
once you are done editing the data click on load.
- you will then see the data in your excel sheet.
- The data once transferred to the excel sheet can be saved using the Save as option.
- Simply click on File and select Save as
- Select a destination folder for the file and you are good to go.
Read How to transfer files to word online
Converting a structured Word file into Excel
Structured data simply means tables that are already part of word documents. These tables can be converted to excel sheets in a few simple steps. Here is what you need to do.
- Open the Word document that contains the table or tabulated text.
- Click on the + sign on the left corner of the table to select the entire table
- Once the table is selected rightclick on it
- From the options select Copy if you need the original file in place. You can also use the cut option if you do not require the original.
- Now open a new spreadsheet in excel
- Select the first cell in the spreadsheet
- now right click and select paste. You could alternatively use Ctrl + V to paste the table onto the sheet.
- once you have the table copied you will need to resize the columns.
- You can choose to format the sheet using the formatting tools.
- once you finish formatting simply save the document. for this click on File and select Save. You can also use Ctrl + S to save the document. Choose the desired file location and click ok.
Read How to track changes in word online?
Convert a Word document into an Excel file for Mac
If you are working on a Mac device you can easily convert a word document into an excel sheet by using one of the two methods.
copy-pasting the table
This is a fairly straightforward process
- First open the Word Document you would like to copy the table from.
- Select the entire table using the + icon on the left side
- Now rightclick on the table
- Select copy or cut option
- Open the destination excel file
- click on the first cell
- Right click and select the Paste option
- once the table is copied you can format it using the formatting tools available
- Save the file using the save or save as function
Read How to put a list in alphabetical order in Microsoft word online
Converting the word document into a Txt file
The second option when it comes to converting a word document into excel is by converting it into a text file.
- open the document that needs to be converted
- Under file choose the Save as option
- Change the file type to Plain text
- Open the destination excel file
- Under data click on From text/CSV
- Format the data that is copied
- Save the document using the save or save as option.
hope you found this tutorial helpful, it took you through
- Converting a Word document into an Excel file
- Changing a non-structured Word file into Excel
- transforming a word document to Excel
- Converting a structured Word file into Excel
- turning a Word document into an Excel file for Mac
- copy-pasting the table
- Converting the word document into a Txt file
- Microsoft word file convert to Microsoft excel online
Check out other tutorial articles here
- How to put a subscript in word online?
- How to move an image on top of another on Microsoft word online
- Fonts for microsoft word online
- How to create a template in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.