Adding a URL to a document can give credibility to your article or written material. You can use it to reference research material or to explain a point further. Whatever the use in this tutorial we will take you through how to insert a URL for an online webpage in word online.
To insert a URL in word online you need to start by clicking on the Insert tab. You can then go to the links menu it’s the icon that resembles a chain. Now all you need to do is type in the text you would like to display and paste the URL. You can also add a link to existing text by selecting it and clicking on the link icon.
How to insert a URL for an online webpage in word online
There are three ways in which you can add a URL for an online webpage in your word online document. Here is how it can be done.
Here are the steps you can follow to insert a URL in your word online document using the insert menu.
- Start by opening the word online document that you need to add the URL to. You can do this by logging into the Office Online website. you can also access the document from One Drive.
- Once you have the document click on Insert on the top ribbon for the insert menu
Note that you can select the text you need to add the hyperlink to. You can also add the hyperlink to a blank spot on your document as you will need to enter the display text.
- From the Insert menu, click on the Link option under the Links section. If you are using the simplified ribbon in word online instead of the classic ribbon the Links menu shows up as an extension to the Insert menu. You will need to click on the three dots to select it.
- Once you click on Link you will get a popup titled Link
- You can from here enter the Display text you would like to add. If you have already selected text it will show up in this section. You can make changes to the text from here.
- You will then have an address section where you paste the hyperlink you have copied and would like to link your document to.
- After adding all the details click on Insert.
- once completed you will see that the text selected will have a blue tint. on hovering the cursor over this it will turn red and you will have a clickable URL inserted in your document.
When it comes to word online there are a few shortcuts that you can use to make things easier. Here is how to insert a URL for an online webpage in word online using the keyboard
- Start by opening the document you need to add a URL to.
- Either select the text you need to hyperlink or start by placing the cursor in the spot where the link is needed.
- The keyboard shortcut to use is Ctrl + K
- You will get a popup
- Start by adding the Display text if you have not already selected the text.
- You will then need to paste the hyperlink that needs to be added to the document.
- You can either click on insert or hit the Enter key when all the information is fed into the popup box.
Related Article How to show ruler in word online
How to insert a URL for an online webpage in word online by right-clicking text
Most of the common commands are present in the right-click menu. Here is how you can use the right-click menu to add an URL to your word online document.
- Start by opening the document You would like to add a URL to.
- once you have the document select the text that you need to use as the display text for the hyperlink.
- once the text is selected right-click on the text.
- From the menu choose the Link option
- YOu will now get a popup
- As you have already selected the text it will show up as the Display text.
- All you need to do is paste the link under the address section.
- After all the data is entered click on Insert.
Check out this tutorial on How to convert Word file into Excel file online
Here are the steps you can follow if you need to insert a URL into a Word online document on an Android or ios device.
- Start by opening the document you would like to edit. Word documents can be accessed using the Word application for Android or ios devices.
- Once you have the document open start by selecting the editing option on the top of your screen.
- You will now have a menu at the bottom of your screen.
- Tap the arrow near the home button for the menu.
- Select Insert
- You will have a number of options under the Insert tab. From among these select Link.
- You will now have a menu. Select Insert Link
- Here you can add specific display text or you can select text from the document.
- Then paste the address that needs to be added to the document.
- After you have typed in all the details select Insert.
This way you will have a hyperlink added to your document using your phone.
Hyperlinks are great to add a sense of authenticity to your research work or to cite sources used. You can easily use an hyperlink in shared documents for better clarity. whatever the reason you can do it from you desktop as well as hand held device. Hope you found this article interesting and helpful it took you through
- How to insert a URL for an online webpage in word online
- How to add a hyperlink using the Insert menu?
- Steps on how to add a hyperlink using the keyboard?
- How to add a hyperlink by right-clicking on the text?
- How to insert a website link in Word on an Android or ios device?
Here are similar articles you may like
- How to change your page color in word online?
- Steps on how to insert online pictures in word online
- How to see edit history in word online?
- Understanding how to make MLA format in Word Online
- How to remove space after paragraph in word online?
- Rotate text in word document
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.