Documents scanned on your phones or tablets can be inserted into Word documents. In most cases, you will need to convert the picture into a text document to be able to edit it in Word. Here is a tutorial article that explains how to edit a scanned document on Mac.
To edit a scanned document in Word online start by converting the image using an OCR service. You can then log in to Word online and import the document. For this click on New and then go to File and click on Open. Fins the OCR file on your computer. The file will then be ready to edit.
How to edit a scanned document on a Mac?
You can edit a scanned document in Word Online in three simple steps. Here is how to do it in the simplest way possible.
Step 1 – Convert the picture file into a text file.
This is the most essential step when it comes to editing a scanned image. Converting the picture file into a text file is called OCR. The process used to transform an image of text into a machine-readable text format is known as optical character recognition (OCR). There are websites that offer this service for free. Here is how it’s done.
- Transfer the image to your computer
- Login to onlineocr.net
Please note: this is just an example you can use any other online service by typing Free OCR converter online in the Google search bar.
- You will, on the home page see a blue button labeled Select File.
- Click on it, and you will have a popup window with all the files on your computer.
- Select the File that needs to be converted (There is a size limit of 15 MB)
- Once the File is uploaded, you can move on to the second step, where you choose the output language and the format.
- Click on the arrow and select the Language (in this case, it was English)
- Secondly, click on the arrow to select Microsoft Office (doc)
- Now click on Convert.
- You must wait a few minutes while the file is converted.
- After the converted file is ready, you will have an option to download the file. Click on download.
- Select the location of the file and start downloading.
Step 2 – Open the converted file in Word online
- Login to Office online using your credentials
- Click on the Word logo in the left panel.
- Click on Open, and you will have a popup window with all the documents on your device.
- Select the file you have converted and open it as a new document
- As the contents of the scanned document are now in text format, you can edit it.
- Click on the text that needs to be converted and start typing using the editing options available.
- You can also change the text color and formatting. Alternatively, you can add more text to the document and also add pictures, clipart, and other elements.
Step 3 – Save the Word online document
Once you have edited the document, you can finally save the document. Follow these steps
- Go to File in the top panel.
- Select Save as.
- There is no Save option in Word Online as documents created in Word Online are saved on the server while you work on the document.
- You can, however choose other options from the list that suit your requirements.
- Edit the document’s name, select the folder you would like to save the document in and click on Save.
How to upload scanned documents from notes to a computer?
These days, most of us use phones or tablets to scan documents. This section will look at how you can transfer these scanned documents to your computer.
Ideally, you have two main ways of transferring scanned documents to the computer. The first and the easiest way is by uploading the documents to the cloud and the second one is by connecting your phone to your computer. Here is a breakdown of both methods.
Managing scanned documents using the Notes app
The Notes app on Apple devices is great for scanning and storing documents. It is also an excellent tool as the content is shared between all the devices linked to that Apple account.
- log in to your Mac device.
- Open the Notes application. Do this by accessing it from the drawer on the home screen or from the Launchpad
- Start by looking for the note in the Notes app
- You can search for the scanned document using the file name. Click on the Search icon on the right of the window
- You will have different options to choose from.
- Choose the option that suits your need
- Once you have selected the option, look for the note in the respective folder.
- You can then use the image scanned.
Managing scanned documents by connecting the phone or tablet to your computer.
The second option to transfer the scanned document is by connecting your phone or tablet to the computer.
- Connect the USB cable to the phone and insert the other end into the computer’s USB or data port.
- Now select the transfer mode on your phone or tablet
- Open the folder that contains the document
- Copy the document from this folder and save it on your computer
You can use these options and easily transfer the scanned documents to the computer. If you do not want to log in to your Apple account or connect your phone to the computer you can email the documents to yourself. Once you have emailed the document, access the email in incognito mode and download the file.
This article took you through how to edit a scanned document on Mac. Start by converting the scanned file. As scanned documents are in a different format they need to be converted into a file that is recognized by Word. This can be done using online services. Once you have the file you can easily import it into Word online and edit it.
Hope you found this article interesting and helpful. Check out similar tutorials here:
- How to tab in Word Online?
- Delete multiple pages in Word Online
- How to make a brochure on Microsoft Word Online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.