If you work in dark mode and are used to seeing a black screen a black Word Document will not surprise you. But, if you haven’t chosen the document to be black and still find yourself staring at a black document here is an article on Why is my Word document black on Mac?
The different reasons why a Word document on Mac is blank include, Dark mode activated in Word, Display issues, Corrupt document, possible compatibility issues, Document theme, or background image. Most of these problems can be fixed manually from the menu in the top ribbon of the document.
How to make Microsoft Word Light Mode mac
If you are wondering how to get MS Word off dark mode, this section will take you through the process
- Open MS Word and the document you would like to work on
- To switch from dark mode to light, click on Word in the top panel of the screen.
- Click on Preferences; you will have a popup menu.
- Select General from the options available.
- You will now see a list of things you can alter when it comes to the general setting’s appearance. Under the personalize section, select Turn off Dark mode.
Microsoft Word dark mode white page
Changing the theme of Word will disable the dark office layout and the dark page color. This being said, you can change the page to white while still in the dark mode. Here is how it’s done.
- Locate and open Microsoft Word on your device
- Click on Word in the top panel of the screen.
- Click on Preferences for a popup menu
- Go to the section titled General
- Under Personalize select Dark mode has a White page color
Why is my Word document suddenly black?
The dark mode can be annoying if you are not used to it. The previous section looked at the Word Document is black despite disabling the dark mode. Here is a fix that you can try,
- Click on the apple icon in the top panel
- From the options available, click on System Settings
- Click on Appearance
- You will now see the Light, Dark, and Auto modes. If Auto or Dark mode are selected, click on Light.
How to change the page background color in Word?
Changing the mode or the theme from dark to light will change the overall appearance of your system. If you still notice that the page in Word is Black, it could be because of the background color. Here are the steps to follow to reverse this.
- Open the Word document you would like to work on
- Go to the Design or Page Layout tab in the top ribbon of the document. The placement of tabs depends on the version of Word you are using.
- Look for the Page Color or Page Background option.
- Click on Page color
- You will now see a palette. Check if black is selected. This could be the reason the page is black
- Click on No color or White or any other color that you would like the page to be.
There are various reasons why the Word document is black. In most cases, the solution is simple, and you only need to change the page color or the theme. If these don’t work, you might have copied the text from a source and picked up the background color as well. In this case, paste the text in Notepad to remove formatting. If this doesn’t work, you might have a document that is corrupt.
You may also like:
- How to compare documents in Word online?
- Convert SNB file to Word Online
- How to edit a scanned document on a Mac?
- How do you open a blank document on a mac?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.