Wondering why the letter you just typed deleted an existing letter in Word? This is known as Overtype. This tutorial article looks at what the overtype mode in Word is all about and how to Turn off Overtype Mode in Word Online. It also looks at how to turn on the overtype mode and easy ways to switch between insert and overtype mode in Word.
To turn off Overtype in Word online open the Word Online version of your document. The “Home” tab can be found in the ribbon at the top of the page. In the ribbon, look for the “Editing” group. To turn it off, click the “Overtype” option. The button shouldn’t still look pressed in.
What is overtype mode in Word?
With the Overtype mode of text editing, you can type over the text in a document. The text to the right of the cursor gets overwritten as you enter in the overtype mode. This mode is commonly known as OVR in Microsoft Word. If this mode is supported by your computer, it is normally activated by pressing the Insert key on your keyboard.
What is the difference between insert and overwrite text?
The section above gave us a clear understanding of what the overtype mode is and what it does. Here is a brief about what is insert mode and overtype mode.
The overtype mode, in which the cursor overwrites any existing text as it moves while typing. As compared to this in insert mode, the characters typed into the document are inserted at the cursor’s current position. As you type the characters move all other characters one position past it.
This is the most common setting for all devices. However you can switch between modes at any time.
How to switch between insert and overtype mode?
As mentioned in the previous sections you have two modes namely insert and overtype. This section deals with how to switch between these two modes for the best user experience.
- Open the Word Options dialogue box.
- On the Left you will see a list of options, Click on Advanced.
- You will see options on the right of the box
- Choose one of the following actions under Editing Options: Select the Use Insert key to control the overtype check box to activate the Overtype mode using the Insert key on your keyboard.
- If you do not have an insert key check the Use overtype mode check box to keep Overtype mode active at all times.
- Now click on OK and your preferences will be saved.
How to turn off overtype in Word?
If you have activated overtype mode or the text you are typing is overwriting existing text here is how to turn off overtype in Word.
- Click on File in the top ribbon
- Go to Options
- Now click on advanced
- Clear the boxes next to Use overtype mode and Use the Insert key to control overtype mode under Editing settings.
- Click on OK to save your preferences.
How to turn off insert key on the keyboard in windows 10?
Most Windows laptops and computers will have the insert key on the keyboard. Here is how to turn off the insert key so that you don’t accidentally turn on or off the insert mode.
- Tap the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Registry Editor
- The Registry Editor window will appear once you hit Enter.
- Locate and double-click the “HKEY LOCAL MACHINE” folder on the Registry Editor window’s left side.
- Double-click the SYSTEM folder after locating it
- Dispatch the Current Control Set directory.
- Double-click the Control folder after locating it.
- The keyboard Layout folder should open.
When you are within the folder, choose “New” -> “Binary Value” and type any name you like, such as “Insert Disable,” by right-clicking the right side of the window.
- Click the “Insert Disable” file twice.
- Copy and paste the following text into the Value data window:
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 52 E0 00 00 00 00
- Click the “OK” button.
The Registry Editor is now closed, and you can restart your computer.
The Insert key won’t work once you restart your computer.
How to turn off overwrite on the keyboard?
You need to make certain settings changes in order to disable the insert key on the keyboard. If you want to alter the function in each new document going forward, you must repeat these steps on pre-existing Word documents or on the standard document template.
- Press Alt + F, so the Word options menu opens.
- Press A to select Advanced and then press Tab.
- Click Alt + O and move to the Use the Insert key to control the overtype mode box.
How to turn off overtype on mac?
Here are the steps to follow to start overtype mode while using a Mac laptop or Desktop.
- locate and open the word document you would like to work on
- Click on Mac in the top panel of your screen
- Click on Preferences for a popup menu
- From the options click on Edit
- Now check the box next to Replace existing text as you type.
Also, read How to convert tif to Word online free?
How to turn off overtype on mac?
On Mac computers here is how you can turn off overtype mode.
- Start by opening the document you would like to work on
- Click on Word in the top panel
- From the dropdown menu click on Preferences. You will have a popup window
- Click on Edit in the Authoring and Proofing tools menu. You will have another popup window
- Uncheck the box next to Replace existing text as you type
By doing this the overtype mode on your computer will be turned off
How to turn off the overtype without insert key?
- Launch Word.
- Activate File > Word Option > Advanced.
- Under the Editing options, uncheck the box next to Use the Insert key to control overtype mode.
- Close Word
Overtype keyboard shortcuts
The “Ins” key turns off the overtype mode.
This key could also be known as “Insert” depending on the type of keyboard you have.
You’re done if you just want to turn off overtype mode with the option to toggle it back on.
How to turn off Overtype Mode in Word Online if no insert key on keyboard
If you do not have an insert key on your keyboard here is how to turn on overtype mode.
- First, make sure that your Num Lock is turned OFF
- Now click on the 0 key at the bottom of the Numpad. The Numpad-0 key will function as the Insert key.
- You can also use the Shift key to act as a temporary toggle when the Num Lock is ON. Pressing Shift + Numpad-0 will act as an Insert key when Num Lock is ON.
Method 2 to turn on overtype mode without insert key
- Search for the On-Screen Keyboard by using the Windows search feature. Click on the On-Screen Keyboard to open it.
- Now you can select the window or area where you wanted to use the Insert key. Then, simply move the mouse over the Insert key in the On-Screen Keyboard and click on it.
- You can also click on the Options button to configure the settings for the On-Screen Keyboard
Method 3 to Turn off Overtype Mode in Word Online using keyboard
- Using the AutoHotkey program, the Insert key can be remapped. You can remap the Insert key to any key or key combination if it is either missing or not working properly. Use a key combination that is not already in use, but make sure to. You might not be aware of some key combinations that are used in certain applications.
- Open the browser and go to Auto Hotkey. Click on the Download button and then click on the Download Current Version. You can install the application by following the installation instructions.
- You can open the AutoHotkey app after installation or search it through the Windows search feature to check the tutorials and information.
- For Hotkey, you need to right-click on the Desktop and choose the New > AutoHotkey Script option. Name the new script and save it.
- Right-click on the Script file and choose the Edit Script option in the
- It will open in a Notepad, then you can type the hotkey command for Insert.
- You need to run this hotkey script so that a specific key combination will work as the Insert key.
This article took you through ways to turn off Overtype Mode in Word Online. It also looked at keyboard shortcuts and easy ways to toggle between insert and overtype mode.
Hope you found this tutorial interesting. Check out similar articles here
- How to convert pmd file into word online?
- How to make Word Online table of contents hyperlink?
- make a speech bubble on Word Online
- How to draw a line through text in Word Online?
- How to change pdf to Word Online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.