As word online is a web-based service there is a difference in copying and pasting text. It differs based on the permissions available and the mode you are in. This article takes you through Microsoft word online how to copy and paste.
To copy a text on Microsoft Word online simply select the text and copy it. When it comes to pasting it is possible when you have permission to edit and/or are in the editing mode. In the reviewing mode, your changes will be tracked.
Microsoft word online how to copy and paste
In Word online your ability to copy and paste depends on what mode you are in. It also depends if you are copying from within the document or from other sources. Here is all you need to know about how to copy and paste in Word online.
Let’s start by understanding how to check which mode you are in. This way you will be able to understand your limitations better.
- You will see the mode you are in on the top ribbon near the Help menu.
- As you see there are three modes available Editing, Reviewing, and Viewing. Each of these has its limitations.
- You can switch from one mode to the other only if you are the owner of the document. If not you will need to work with the permissions given to you by the owner.
Steps on how to copy and paste in the Viewing mode in Word online.
The viewing mode is one with the least editing powers. You can in a viewing mode simply View the document.
If the word document has been shared with you in the viewing mode. You will see a screen that looks something like this.
- This mode is also called the Print view because you do not have editing options or the editing toolbar.
- All you can do is view the document and print it.
- You will also be able to download the document.
In the viewing mode, you cannot paste content or pictures. Here is how you can copy this document.
- To copy content in a viewing document start by selecting the text that you need to copy.
- To copy the content left-click on the first letter and drag the mouse across the document without releasing the click.
Once you have the content selected right-click on the document.
- From the menu select the Copy option
- The content will be saved on your clipboard.
How to copy viewing mode content using the keyboard?
Windows keyboard shortcut to copy viewing mode content
On a Windows device here is how you can copy content from a Word online viewing only document
- Select the content that you need to copy. you will need to use your mouse as the keyboard shortcut to select text will not work in this mode.
- Press the Ctrl + C keys on your keyboard
- The content will be copied and saved on your clipboard.
Mac keyboard shortcut to copy viewing mode content
On Mac devices, you can copy the content from a Word online viewing-only document by following these steps.
- Select the text using your mouse
- Once you have the content selected press ⌘ + C keys on your keyboard.
- Your text is not saved on the clipboard
The copied text can then be pasted in another location. The formatting of the text will not show when you paste the text into another location. If you need the formatting you will need to redo it manually.
Copy and paste in Reviewing mode in Word online
The reviewing mode in a word online document is one that tracks the changes that are made. This is the best mode to use when the document is shared while collaborating on a project. Here changes made by every user are saved in the document in different colors.
Microsoft word online copying text in reviewing mode
- If you look at the screen in the Reviewing mode you can notice that the editing options are present. This means that you can not only copy the text in this document you can also paste.
- To copy content start by selecting the text you would like to copy. This can be done by using the mouse. Simply drag the cursor across the text. Do not release the left-click
- Copy the text using one of these two options
- Click on the Home section and from the options select copy.
- You could also right-click on the selected text and select the Copy option.
- you can also cut the text from one place in the document and paste it into another section.
Microsoft word online pasting text in reviewing mode
When it comes to pasting the text that you have copied follow these steps
- Start by moving the cursor to the spot where you would like the copied text to appear.
- Then either go to the home section and click on the paste option or
- Right-click on the spot and select the paste option.
- You can also paste content from other sources like websites or other documents.
- There is another option called paste as plain text this is when you only need the text and do not want to copy the link attached to the document or other formatting.
In the Reviewing mode, all the changes made to the document will be recorded. These changes also show up in a different color as compared to the other text.
The owner of the document then either accepts or deny these changes made to the document. Use the following steps
- As the owner, you will see the text inserted by other users in different colors.
- The text added will have a line on the side indicating an edit
- Click on the edit and you will have the name of the person who edited the document and the text they pasted or changed.
- You can then as the owner accept or reject the change by clicking on it.
Similar article How to delete section break in word online?
How to copy and paste content in viewing mode using the keyboard?
When it comes to using the keyboard to paste text in the Reviewing mode it can be done easily using shortcuts.
Windows keyboard shortcut to copy and paste content in viewing mode
- To copy content use the arrow keys to move to the text and select it while the Shift key is pressed.
- You can use Ctrl + C to copy the text
- To paste text using the keyboard on a windows system start by moving the cursor to the spot where you need the text. This can be done using the arrow keys.
- once you have the cursor in the right place use the Ctrl + V key to paste the text.
- It may so happen that you need only the text and not the link or the formatting for this you can press Ctrl + Shift + V.
Mac keyboard shortcut to copy and paste content viewing mode
On mac systems, you can paste the copied content by following the following steps
- Start by moving the cursor to the text that needs to be copied. select the text and then press the ⌘ + C keys to copy the text
- To paste go to the spot where you need the text. The arrow keys can be used to do move the cursor around and select text.
- Once you have the cursor in the spot needed press the ⌘ + V Keys.
- Shift + ⌘ + V Keys can be used to paste plain text into the document.
How to copy and paste in the Editing mode in Word online?
You can easily copy and paste text in editing mode. Here you will have all the formatting options like the Reviewing mode. The only difference however is that the changes you make will not be recorded. Here is how it is done
- Start by selecting the text that you need to copy.
- Either click on the copy option from the home menu or use the right-click and select copy from the options available.
- To paste the content click on the spot where you would like to paste the text.
- You can now use the paste option under the home tab or right-click on the spot and select paste.
- If you need only the text you can paste the text as plain text. this will eliminate links and formatting from the text.
Windows keyboard shortcut to copy and paste content in editing mode
- To copy content in a word online document on a windows device start by taking selecting the text using the arrow keys. You will need to keep the Shift key pressed while selecting the text
- Once you have selected the text use the Ctrl + C keys to copy or Ctrl + X keys to cut the text
- To paste use the Ctrl + V keys.
- Use Ctrl + Shift + V to paste plain text
Mac Keyboard shortcut to copy and paste content in editing mode
- On a mac system, you can copy the content in the editing mode by using the arrow keys and selecting the text.
- use ⌘ + C to copy the text
- To paste the text use ⌘ + V and for plain text use Shift + ⌘ + V
Check out this article on How to add fonts to word online?
Frequently asked questions
The reason you cannot copy and paste text in Microsoft Word online can be the lack of permission. If you are not the owner of the document and it was sent to you by someone else, there is a possibility that you can only view the document. You can contact the host to edit the permissions. Another reason could be that you are not in the Editing mode. Try changing the mode on the top ribbon near Help.
To copy text from a website you can select the text and either right-click and select copy or use the keyboard shortcuts. After the text is copied you can paste it to the word online document either as it is or as plain text.
If you want to get rid of the formatting completely you can copy the text and paste it into notepad (the default program in both mac and windows) then copy it again and paste it into the word online document.
To copy and paste text in Microsoft word online is easy as long as you have the necessary permissions. You can move text around within the document or use external sources to copy text. Here is a list of topics covered in this tutorial.
- Microsoft word online how to copy and paste
- Steps on how to copy and paste in the Viewing mode in Word online.
- How to copy viewing mode content using the keyboard?
- Windows keyboard shortcut to copy viewing mode content
- Mac keyboard shortcut to copy viewing mode content
- Steps on how to copy and paste in the Reviewing mode in Word online.
- Microsoft word online copying text in reviewing mode
- Microsoft word online pasting text in reviewing mode
- How to copy and paste content in viewing mode using the keyboard?
- Windows keyboard shortcut to copy and paste content in viewing mode
- Mac keyboard shortcut to copy and paste content viewing mode
- How to copy and paste in the Editing mode in Word online?
- Windows keyboard shortcut to copy and paste content in editing mode
- Mac Keyboard shortcut to copy and paste content in editing mode
- Why can’t I copy and paste on Microsoft Word online?
- How to copy text form a website to paste in a Microsoft word online document?
If you found this article interesting and informative check out similar articles here
- How to merge cells in word online?
- Understanding how to make a graph in word online?
- How to add code block in word online
- How to add borders in word online?
- Steps on how to move pictures in word online?
- How to add a header in word online?
- How to rotate Word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.