Won’t it be easier to have all the documents you are working on online and easily accessible? With word online you get the liberty of working on documents anywhere and anytime. You can also share these documents and collaborate with ease. This tutorial takes you through how to transfer files to word online.
To transfer word documents online and make them available over the internet you will need to upload the document to OneDrive. To upload a file all you need to do is go to onedrive.com > login to your account and upload the file. You can create specific folders and most importantly access the document at any time.
How to transfer word documents to word online?
When it comes to having a file available it is better to have them saved on a cloud. Cloud storage as compared to a local copy of a document is preferred. This is because it makes files easily accessible and at the same time you can share the documents and collaborate.
When it comes to uploading word documents on the cloud you have different options. let’s explore them in detail.
Please note that the steps mentioned in this tutorial are common for mac as well as windows. The desktop versions of the software are also available for both on the same page.
Check out How to add fonts to word online?
How to transfer files to word online using office online?
The first method to have documents handy is by uploading them to the cloud from the office online. Here is how it can be done
- Locate the document on your computer, the one you would like to have an online copy of. Check the file before you upload it. It may so happen that you have two or more versions of the document. it is better to have a look at the document beforehand. Minimise the document – this is so that you can locate it easily and do not spend time searching for it.
- Go to www.office.com from your browser
- Login using your outlook account credentials.
- Go to the main page where you have details of everything on the drive
- From the list you can go to word and see all the documents you have saved. you can also check other programs. To upload a document you will need to go to My Content.
- Here you have a list of all the documents on the drive, recently opened edited and added documents. You can also brouse document by people and location. To add a new file to this you will need to click on Upload.
- Once you click on upload you can choose the file you need to upload.
- Once you have the file click Open
- Another way to copy files is by using the drag and drop method
- As mentioned in the previous section you will already have the file opened, checked and minimised in the tray at the bottom.
- open the My content section and with that open the minimised folder
- Now click on the file that you would like to upload
- without releasing the click drag the file to the browser until you see the Copy option
- Release the file in the upload area and the file will get uploaded.
How to upload word documents to OneDrive?
Another option when it comes to having word documents easily accessible is by using one drive. You can either download the desktop application of one drive or login to the webpage.
Either way, the process remains the same for both Mac as well as windows. Here is how it is done.
- Start by downloading the desktop application
- To download the desktop application you will need to visit the website. Simply google one drive for desktop and you will have a direct download page open
- click on the download option on the left or go to the download tab
- either way you will have an .exe setup file
- This is what your download file should look like
- Once you finish downloading it run the setup and you will have onedrive setup on your device.
- Now you will have an extra folder of sorts in your file explorer.
- You can save file direcly in this folder.
- The files will be uploaded to the drive as and when you have internet access.
- to check if your file is uploaded check the cloud icon at the bottom of your screen. its generally on the right side
- you will see at the documents that are being uploaded to the drive.
- From here you can also visit the web page or the folder on your computer.
The one drive application is available for download on your android and iOS devices as well. All you need to do is visit the store and download the application for free.
You will need to sign in using your outlook login credentials. Now you will have all the files on your phone or tablet.
How to upload word documents to office online using the save as option?
Another way of saving word documents on the cloud is by using the save as option. here is what needs to be done
- Open the document you would like to save online
- Click on File on the top ribbon of the document
- scroll down to save as and click on it
- there will now be an extended menu on the right
- you will see one drive in the recent section or you can Add a place and click on one drive
- Sign in and your document will be saved on the drive
- You can use this as a default saving soace for future documents.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, it is possible to upload word documents to the cloud using the one drive application available for Android devices. You can alternatively download the Word application and log in to the outlook account in use. this way all the documents created and edited on the device will be synced on the drive.
Yes One Drive is available for download on the Apple store. It’s a free application, all you need to do is use your outlook log-in credentials and you can start using it immediately. All the documents created and edited on your device will now be saved on the drive.
Hope you found this article useful, it took you through
- Tips on how to transfer word documents to word online?
- How to transfer files to word online using office online?
- How to upload word documents to One Drive?
- Uploading word documents to office online using the save as option?
- Can you upload word documents to the cloud using an Android device?
- Is the One Drive application available for iOS devices?
Check out other tutorial articles here
- Tips on making a graph in word online
- Tutorial on adding boarders to a word online document.
- How to move pictures in word online?
- Understanding how to add a header to a word online document
- How to delete section break in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.