The adjustment bar in a word document is important as it gives you a fair idea of the spacing and layout of the document. You can get a fair idea of the size of the sheet as compared to the content, pictures, tables, etc. on it. This tutorial article takes you through how to show word online adjustment bar.
The adjustment bar or the ruler is located in the View Tab in word online. Click on View in the top ribbon > select Ruler. In word online you will have a ruler on the top of the document. In the desktop version on the other hand you will have rulers on the top as well as the side.
How to show ruler in word online?
The ruler in word online is used to make estimating the use of space or the paper better. Here is how you can make the ruler visible in your word online document.
- Login to office online and open the word online document you would like to edit.
- In the top ribbon click on and open the View menu
- Click on Ruler
- A ruler will appear on top of the word online document.
Read How do you eliminate extra spacing in word online
How to use a ruler in word online?
A ruler in word online can be used to move around or navigate things in the document. You have tabs on the ruler that can be used here is a brief overview of the tabs and what they do.
You have two arrows facing each other on the ruler in your word online document. These arrows help you space out the text. There are 3 types of arrows in word online
- The top arrow – moves the first line of paragraphs in the document
- The bottom arrow – moves the rest of the paragraph
- Arrow on the end – move all the text from the right to the left. It creates a bigger margin on the right of the page.
How to use the arrows on a ruler in Word?
You can move the arrows by clicking on them and dragging them.
- To move the first word of the paragraph you will need to move the top arrow. The text will move along with the arrow.
- The other text in the document can be moved by clicking and dragging the bottom arrow.
- If you need to move the text to the left to leave a bigger margin on the right you can move the arrow on the right of the ruler.
Read How do you delete a word document on mac
How to hide the ruler in Word online?
To hide the ruler in word online here are the steps you can follow
- Open the word online document from the browser by logging in to office online
- Click on View in the top ribbon of the document
- Select ruler. The ruler on your screen will disappear.
How to show Word online adjustment bar on Mac?
The adjustment bar in Word for Mac has more functional options as compared to word online. Here is an overview of how to enable the adjustment bar and the functions.
- To enable the adjustment bar in Word for Mac start by opening the document you would like to format.
- Now click on View in the top ribbon
- Under View, you will see options one of which is Ruler.
- Check the box near it
- Two rulers will appear in your document one on top and another to the left.
On the left at the point where both the rulers meet you will see the tab stop options. Here is what the symbols mean.
- The Left tab stop. It sets the left end of the text line paragraphs of your document. The text you enter after the stop will start to appear on the right of it.
- The Center tab stop is positioned in the middle of the text lines. This means that all the text that is entered centers at this position.
- A Right tab stop and it sets the right end of the paragraph text line. All the text entered into the document fills in towards the left of this stop.
- The Decimal tab stop helps you align numbers around a decimal point. It doesn’t consider the number of digits, secondly, the decimal points remain in the same position throughout the document.
- A Bar tab stop. Like the other tab stops it doesn’t position text in your document. Instead, it inserts a vertical bar at the tab position. This bar is added to the document every time you click on the ruler. If you do not clear the bars they will print when you want to print the document.
Read How to add a horizontal line in word online
How to hide the adjustment bar in Word for Mac?
Here are the steps you can follow if you would like to get rid of the rulers in Word for Mac.
- Open the document by double-clicking on it.
- Click on view in the top ribbon of the document.
- From the options uncheck the box next to Ruler. By doing this the rulers will disappear from the document.
How to Show and Hide the Rulers in Microsoft Word?
Here are the steps you can follow if you would like to show a Ruler in Microsoft Word for Windows.
- Open the document you would like to work on. If the document was created on word online you can access the document by login into office online and downloading it.
- After opening the document you can start by clicking on View in the top ribbon of the document.
- Under View, you will see the Ruler option with a box next to it.
- Check the box
- Rulers will now appear in your document.
- To remove the rulers all you need to do is click on the box next to Ruler and uncheck it.
Another way is by using the file menu here is how it’s done.
- Click on File in the top ribbon
- You will have a menu on the left. Click on and select Options, then Go to Advanced
- On the right, you will see the option “Show vertical ruler in the print layout view”
- Check the box next to it.
- Click on OK
- You can now go to print view in the view section
- You will be able to see the vertical ruler in this view in the word online document.
Read How to hide ribbon on word online
The adjustment bar in a document helps format the document in so many ways. This article took you through the different uses of the bar and also showed you how to remove it.
Hope you found this tutorial article useful. Check out similar articles here.
- How to get word count on word online
- How to transfer Word online doc to google docs
- Difference between word online and word
- How to merge table cells in word online
- How to edit a word document with a friend online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.