Word selection is important when it comes to formatting your document. You may need to highlight a sentence or a work so that it can stand out. It is also possible that you need to delete unwanted text. This tutorial article takes you through how to select words in word online.
To select words in word online you can either use your mouse or the keyboard. With the mouse double click on the word. If you need to select an entire sentence use the drag and select method. On the keyboard the Ctrl + A keys pressed together will select the entire text.
How to select words in word online?
Selecting words can be done by either using the mouse or the keyboard. Here are tips on how to select words in Word online.
How to select a word by double-clicking?
When it comes to selecting individual words, it can easily be done by double-clicking. Follow these steps
- Start by opening the document you need to work on
- Then move your cursor to the word you need to select. Do this by clicking on the first letter of the word.
- You will see that the cursor starts to blink at the start of the word.
- Now double-click on the word (left click)
- The word will get selected.
Check out this article on How do I make a word search online?
Select a word using the keyboard
Words can be selected using the keyboard as well. Here is how you can do it
- Start by moving the cursor to the word that needs to be selected. This can be done by using the arrow keys.
- Once you have the cursor at the beginning of the word press Shift.
- Without releasing the shift key move over each syllable using the arrow keys.
- To unselect a word simply press the back arrow key.
- Release Shift after the selection is complete.
Understanding how to select a sentence in word online
Sentences in word online can be selected by using the mouse or the keyboard. here are the steps involved.
How to select a sentence using the mouse in word?
Here is how you can select a sentence in word online.
Start by clicking on the first word. The cursor will move to that spot.
- Now move the mouse with the left click held.
- Release it only after the entire sentence is highlighted.
You can also click in the margin of the sentence and move the mouse with the left click pressed.
How to select a sentence using the Keyboard?
Here is how to select a sentence using the keyboard.
- Start by moving the cursor to the sentence. Do this by using the arrow keys.
- Now press the Shift key and move across the sentence using the arrow keys.
- Release the Shift key only after the sentence is highlighted.
Steps on how to select an entire Paragraph in word online
Selecting an entire paragraph can be either to format it or delete it. Here are steps on how you can select a sentence in Word online.
How to select a paragraph using the mouse?
Here is how you can select an entire paragraph using the mouse. There are two ways of doing it.
- Make sure the cursor is behind the first word of the sentence to be selected. This can be done by clicking on the spot.
- Once you have the cursor in place click thrice.
- Clicking thrice will highlight the entire paragraph.
Click and drag method
The click and drag method is the most common. Here is how it is done
- Start by clicking on the left side of the first word. The cursor will move to this position
- Now, left-click, and without releasing the click move to the last word of the Paragraph.
- You will see the paragraph getting highlighted as you move the mouse.
How to select a paragraph using the Keyboard in word online?
Here is how you can select a paragraph using the keyboard.
- Start by moving the cursor to the first word in the paragraph. Do this by using the arrow keys
- Not keep the shift key pressed and move the cursor to the end of the paragraph using the arrow keys.
- Once you have selected or highlighted the entire paragraph release the Shift key.
Where is select all in Word Online?
In word online you do not have a select all button. It is a common feature on android and ios phones and tablets. You can use the tables on these devices to select the text in the document or the entire document.
On a laptop or desktop, you have two options, either select the text using the mouse or you can use keyboard shortcuts.
When using the mouse follow these steps.
- Start by clicking on the first word of the document.
- Once you have the cursor in place, left-click on the first word
- Now move across the entire document without releasing the click.
This method can be time-consuming if you have a long document. As there is a risk of moving around the text. Hence, using the keyboard is the best option in such situations. Here is how you can select the entire document using the Keyboard.
- To select the entire text all you need to do is press Ctrl + A. All the text in your document will be selected.
Similar article How to insert a table of content in word online
It is easy to select words in Microsoft word online. You can either use the keyboard or the mouse. To select everything on the page or document remember the shortcut Crtl+A.
Hope you found this article helpful it took you through the following
- How to select words in word online?
- How to select a word by double-clicking?
- Select a word using the keyboard
- Understanding how to select a sentence in word online
- How to select a sentence using the mouse?
- How to select a sentence using the Keyboard?
- Steps on how to select an entire Paragraph.
- How to select a paragraph using the mouse?
- How to select a paragraph using the Keyboard?
- Where is select all in Word Online?
Check out similar articles here
- How to insert shapes in Microsoft word online?
- Understanding how to track changes in word online?
- How to add columns in word online?
- Step on how to show ruler in word online
- How to insert an online video on word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.