Most of us have inserted or found the need to insert images in documents. This tutorial takes you through images in a word document. It takes it a step further explaining how to move pictures in word online.
How to move pictures in word online? Pictures on word online can be moved in two ways. one you can cut them from their current location and then paste them to where they are required. Secondly, you can select the image and drag it around the document without releasing the click.
Moving a picture in a word online document
Method 1: Cut and Paste the image
If you have inserted an image into a document on Word Online you can easily cut and paste the image to move it within the given document. When it comes to moving a picture in words this is the most common method. Here is how it’s done
- Open the word online document that contains the image. If the image is not on the document yet here is a summary of how to add it.
- to insert a picture in a word document open the document > click on insert
- under insert click on the picture option this will give you options on where to insert the image from
- Choose the source. if you choose this device a folder will open with the pictures on your device. choose from among them. if you choose other sources like OneDrive it will let you choose from that folder.
- You can also choose an image from the internet and insert it.
- Once you select the image click on open and the image will show up on the document
- Once you have the document open select the picture that you need to move.
- ON selection the image will have dots or arrows on all the ends to drag. this is used to increase or decrease its size.
- Right click on the image for the menu
- This menu contains the Cut option. click on it
- The image will become semi transparent or will disappear.
- Now go to the spot where you want to insert the image and right click
- from the menu click on paste
- your image will show up in the new spot.
Keyboard shortcuts for moving image in word online
if you do not want to use the mouse while moving the image from one spot to the other you can do it with only the keyboard. Here is how
- Either click to select the image to be moved or use the arrow keys
- Once the image is selected hit Ctrl + X to cut the image
- The image will disappear
- Go to the spot where you would like to insert the image. this can be done by clicking on the spot or by moving the cursor using the arrow keys.
- When on the spot hit Ctrl + V to paste the image
- The image will move to the new spot.
Method 2: Drag and Drop the image
Drag and drop is another option when it comes to moving pictures around in a word document. Here is how to do it
- Select the image that needs to be moved. this can be done by clicking on the image.
- Once the image has the resize arrows or dots you can move it.
- This can be done by holding the left click and moving the mouse to the spot where you want the image to be moved.
- moving the image to another location between text will mess up the formatting.
You will need to either move it between lines or use the paragraph formatting tools to fix the paragraph. You can apply Paragraph formatting by clicking on the image and selecting the Wrap Text icon. this way the text will flow around the image.
How to move pictures in word online on Android device?
You can use your phone or other android devices to add pictures to documents on the go. Here is how you can add pictures to documents and move them on your android device.
- Open the document that you would like to add the image in.
- Got to the edit option
- in the menu on the bottom of the screen click on the arrow near home
- scroll to insert and tap on it
- under insert tap on the pictures option
- Pictures can be added from the phone or you can take a new picture
- once the picture is added it can be edited and formatted using the tools available.
- When it comes to moving the picture around in the document all you need to do is tap on the image.
- This will open the menu and the size altering dots.
- You can then drag and drop the image to the desired spot.
- Alternatively you could select the image > use the Cut option and > Paste it to the new location / spot
- The picture is sure to mess up the text formatting when moved
- To fix this use the text wrap options available.
How to move pictures in word online on iOS device?
You can add pictures and images to text on the go on word online by tapping on the insert option. All you need to do is tap on the spot where you would like to insert the image. Select the image that you want to add or take a picture of.
Once the image is inserted tap on the image. It can then be dragged around in the document. You could also select the image using the Cut option and then Paste it to the new location.
If an image was added in a desktop version of word you cannot make changes to that image. To make changes to that image to the menu and select “Open in Desktop App” to make changes to the image added from a desktop version.
Not being able to move the picture could also mean that you do not have permission. Make sure you are in editing mode or have permission to edit the document.
Hope you found this article helpful. it took you through
- How to move pictures in word online?
- Moving a picture in a word online document
- Keyboard shortcuts for moving image in word online
- How to move pictures in word online on Android device?
- How to move pictures in word online on iOS device?
- Why cant i move pictures in word online?
Check out other tutorial articles
- How to do a hanging indent on word online?
- How to insert a line in word online?
- change language in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.