Charts and graphics are common presentation tools. There are many ways in which you can add graphs to your document. This tutorial gives you details on how to make a graph in word online
How to make a graph in word online?
Word online graphs are easy to make. If the data you have is limited you can do it word directly. This being said if the data is a lot, consider creating the graph on excel and then copying it to word.
This is the best way to edit the chart with updated data. If this is the case remember to save the original excel file.
Here is how to add a simple graph in word online
- Open the document you need to add a graph to or create a new word document.
- Make sure the cursor is in the spot you need the graph.
- Click on Insert
- Under insert you will see a number of options among those is Chart. Select it
- The chart sections comes with a variaty of options.
- These include: Column, line, par, bar, area, XY (Scatter), Stock, Surface, Radar and Combo. You can from among these choose the one that fits your needs the best.
- Once you click on the graph / chart type that you like it will appear on your document. This graph will generally be attached to a spreadsheet.
- The spread sheet needs to be formatted with the data you want to plot on the graph.
- The values will show on the graph simultaneously. You can make changes as and when required.
- To keep only the graph close the excel sheet.
- You can change the layout anytime by clicking on the Layout tab
- The colours, size, shape and almost everything can be formatted using the formatting tools available.
How to add a Chart in Word using Excel online?
To add a chart in Word Online you will need to switch to Excel online. This way it is easier to save the data and make the required edits. Once you have excel online open follow the below steps
- Open a new blank workbook in excel online
- Once the new excel file is open click on Insert
- This will give you a number of options among those you will find a section on charts.
- in this section you have various options available. click on the one that you want to add to your document.
- The best part about the charts section in Microsoft Excel is that the various options available are displayed on the ribbon itself. you can click on the arrow and look at the sub categories or designs available. this makes using it convenient.
- Now click on the chart or graph you would like to add to the document.
- Add all your data you would need on the chart with their respective titles
- Select the data and in the menu bar go to insert
- In this menu you will see the charts menu
- Select the design you need and edit the chart as per your requirement
- The color shape and other minor details of the chart can be edited.
- Once you are satisfied with the overall design, select the chart and press ‘Ctrl + C’ or right click and select Copy.
- Once the Chart is copied you can past it on your word online document
- for this all you need to do is switch back to the Word online tab you want to insert the Graph. To insert press ‘Ctrl + V’ on the keyboard or right click and select Paste
Can you insert a graph using PowerPoint online?
Yes, as there is no option to add a graph on word online, you can always create the graph or chart in other applications and paste it on the word document. most users prefer to use excel as it provides ease when it comes to saving data.
This being said, excel is not a commonly used program as compared to PowerPoint. most people associate excel with math and are intimidated by it. PowerPoint on the other hand remains the easy-to-use presentation buddy.
Here is how you can create a graph in PowerPoint and paste it in word online.
- Open Power point and click on the blank presentation icon. You will now have a new presentation screen in front of you.
- Start by clicking on the Chart button.
- under that you will see the Insert Chart dialog box.
- you can now select the chart type you require. you will have a number of variations of the chart. choose the one that you require and click OK.
- once you click OK you will see a excel sheet pop up. This is where you need to enter the data to be plotted on the graph.
- In PowerPoint, you can also click the Chart icon on a placeholder frame to open the Insert Chart dialog box.
- Fill in the data required and watch it being plotted on the graph.
- You can edit the content as and when required, you can also format the chat or change its type in a few steps.
Copying the graph to word
- Once satisfied with the graph and the content all you need to do is copy it
- To copy the graph select it and hit Ctrl + C on your keyboard or right click and select copy.
- You can then open the word online document and paste the graph
- to paste all you need to do is select the spot u want to see the graph and hit Ctrl + V or right click and select paste.
This is how you can add graphs to your word online document. if you find it difficult to find the graph or chart option in online applications choose to use the desktop applications. You can also purchase Microsoft 365 which comes with all the features required.
To recap this is what we went through in this article
- How to make a graph in word online?
- How to make a graph in word online?
- How to add a Chart in Word using Excel online?
- Can you insert a graph using power point online?
Check out our other tutorial articles here
- How to add fonts to word online?
- How to insert a line in word online?
- How to insert equation in word online?
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.