When it comes to collaborating with colleagues or keeping word documents safe on a drive word online is the best option. It is an online version of the desktop word application and is absolutely free. So, how to add page numbers in word online? Let’s find out in this tutorial.
How to add page numbers in word online? To add page numbers to an online word document all you need to do is click on insert and select the Page Numbers option.
You can then choose from the various options available in terms of placement. With just one click the page numbers will be added to the entire document.
How to insert page numbers in word online?
To insert page numbers in a document you first need to open the document. This can be done on a new document or an existing one.
If the document is shared check the editing options on the top left side. To make changes you need to have permission to edit.
To insert page numbers to a word document follow the following steps
- Open the document you would like to edit
- Click on the Insert tab
- From the menu below click on the Page Numbers option
- Once you select Page Number you will get a dropdown menu with placement options
Page numbers dropdown menu allows you to add numbers to either the header or the footer of the Word document you are working on. While customizing the page numbers they can be placed on the left, right, or center of the header or the footer.
Page numbers on word documents can be added in two formats
- Only page numbers 1- XX depending on the number of pages in your document or
- page numbers along with the total number of pages in the document. This is in the x out of xx format.
The second format is particularly helpful when you need to cross-reference text or when it is important to know the total number of pages in the document.
How to add page count to a word online document?
If you need to know the total number of pages in the document including page count helps. Here is how it is done.
Select Insert > in the dropdown menu look for Page numbers > select the formatting option and then tick the Include Page Count
Once Include Page Count is selected you will have the total number of pages displayed on every page of the document.
Also read, How to add columns in word online
How to insert page numbers in word online on Mac OS?
Follow these simple steps to add page numbers to your Word documents on Mac OS
- Open the document where you need the page numbers. This can be an existing document or a new blank document.
- Click on the Insert tab
- Once in the Insert tab, click on the Page Number icon
- Now click Page Number
- You can choose from the various styling options by selecting Format. This is used to change the placement of the number and basic formatting.
- Select OK once you are done to close the popup box and to review the changes on your document.
How to insert page numbers in word online on an Android phone?
- To insert page numbers in word documents on an android phone first open the word app. if you do not have the app you can use online word on the browser. you could alternatively open the document from one drive on the phone or login from the browser.
- once you have the document open click the editing pencil icon on the top of the screen
- Clicking the edit option will open a menu at the bottom
- On the left click on the arrows and select Insert
- once you click on insert you will see the Page Number option click on the arrow
- Formatting options will become available once you click Page Numbers
- Here you can choose the placement of the number. You can either place it at the bottom or the top of the page. It can go either on the Right, the Left or the Centre.
- The page count option is available in this section. This formatting option is good when you have multiple documents and need to keep track of the contents.
- Once you select the desired format click on the tick that will apper on the top left side corner. This will ensure that the changes are saved to the document.
What if the Page number option is not available?
It may sometimes happen that the Page Number option is not available. in such cases click on Header & Footer. Once in the Header & Footer menu, you can easily select Page Number.
Removing page numbers from Word Online
When it comes to page numbers you can remove them with just a single click. The option is available in the dropdown itself.
How to remove Page Numbers from Word on an Android device?
Removing page numbers using an Android phone is simple. all you need to do is go to Insert click on Page Numbers scroll down to the formatting option and click on Remove Page Numbers. be sure to click the tick after you click on Remove page numbers. if you do not click the tick the changes wont be saved.
Here is a review
- Open the word online document
- Select Insert from the main menu
- Choose Page numbers option
- in the dropdown menu you will find the Remove Page Numbers option
- Select the option by clicking on it
Related word online tutorials:
- How to delete a document in word online?
- How to insert a line in word online?
- How to separate pages in word online?
- How to delete section break in word online?
- How to print from word online?
- How do I make a word search online?
- How do I wrap text in word online?
This document took you through
- How to add page numbers to a word online document
- How to add page count to a word online document and
- How to remove page numbers from a word online document
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.