Watermarks are great if you need to add a hint of uniqueness to documents. this being said too much of anything isn’t appreciated. So how do you put a different background on each page in Word? Let’s find out
To have unique backgrounds for pages on word online you need to go to insert and select ‘Picture’. Now add the image you would like to have in the background. once you have the image in place click on the text wrap option and move the image to the back.
How do you put a different background on each page in Word online?
On word online you can edit share and made minimal but considerable format modifications to documents. This section takes you through the various steps involved in adding a different background image to pages of your word online document.
- Start by logging in to your word online account. This can be done by visiting the Office online website and signing in using your ID and password.
- Once you have logged in you can choose to edit existing documents or create a new Word document.
- If you are working on an existing document double click on it to open.
Before adding an image to the document it is better to zoom out so that you have a better understanding of placement.
- To zoom out click on View in the top ribbon and reduce the Zoom % by clicking on the arrow. You can choose the zoom percentage from the dropdown menu
- Another way to zoom out of the document is by using the slide bar located at the bottom of your screen. Simply slide the bar towards the – sign and you will see that the document starts to zoom out. You can now insert an image into the document and set it as a background.
Similar article How to start labels in Microsoft word online
How do you put a background on just one page in Word Online?
After you have a better view of the word online document you can start inserting the image and setting it in the background of the text.
- Start by clicking on the ‘Insert’ tab
- Under insert, you will find ‘Picture’ select it for a dropdown menu
- In Word Online, you can add images from various sources. You can choose to add an image from your computer or the net. You can also select an image you have saved on the drive or choose from the various Stock Images available.
We have for this tutorial included an image from the Stock image section.
- When you click on Stock images under pictures, you have a variety of keywords you can choose from. There is also an option to use the search bar to look for specific keywords and images.
- Once you have an image you like click on it to select.
- A small green tick will appear on the top.
- You can add as many images as you like. For this tutorial, however, we have chosen just one.
- Once the selection is made click on Insert.
- The image will appear in the spot where the cursor was. You can move the image by hitting enter, space, or backspace keys.
This is where zooming out, comes in handy, you will actually be able to see where the image is on the document and how it looks in that spot. Here is how you can edit this image and set it behind the text.
Read How to print Word doc with comments on word online
Edit a background image in word online
When it comes to editing the image added to a word online document here are the steps you can follow
- Start by clicking on the image to select it. Once the image is selected you can change the dimensions by simply clicking and dragging the dots on the edges of the image. The image can also be rotated using the circular arrow on top of the image.
- Selecting the image will also open the Picture menu. This menu comes with various options to modify the image. You can change the shape, add a background or crop the image.
- Once you are satisfied with how the image looks click on Wrap text.
- Click on ‘Behind text’ from this menu to move the image to the back. You won’t be able to move the image after you have selected the text wrapping option. If you do need to change the location or edit the image double click on it and you will be able to select the image.
- Text wrapping options are also available in the right-click menu.
- For this, all you need to do is right-click on the picture.
- From the menu select wrap text and Behind text.
After you have set the image in the background you can go on to type in content as usual. The text you type will show over the image.
Check out How to add code block in word online
How do I insert a background image on a single page in Word for windows?
The desktop application is known to have more editing options as compared to the word online version. In this section, we will take you through the steps you can follow to add a background image in Word.
- Open word on your windows device. You can choose a document you have already been working on or open a new blank document.
- Documents that have been created on word online can also be accessed from your computer using the one drive application for windows.
- Start by zooming out of the document for clarity on where you are placing the background image. You can also enable the rulers if they are not already visible.
- Click on view in the top ribbon and then on the Zoom icon
- You will now have a list of percentages to choose from. Another way of doing it is by sliding the bar on the bottom. Simply move the bar to the left to zoom out and to the right to zoom in.
There are two ways in which you can add an image as a background in word. The more straightforward one is from the insert menu and the second is from the design menu. We have included both options in this tutorial.
Read How to adjust the cell height in word online
Add a background on just one page in Word for windows
The first option is similar to how it’s done in word online, the only difference is that you have a wider range of editing tools in the desktop application. Nonetheless, here is how it is done.
- After zooming out of the document click on the spot where you would like to insert the picture. The image will appear where the cursor is.
- Once the cursor is in position click on Insert in the top ribbon.
- You will now have various options to choose from. This includes smart art, screenshots, shapes, icons, 3D Models, and Pictures.
- To insert an image click and select Pictures.
- You will now have two options, you can either choose an image from your computer or from over the internet. We chose the latter.
- You need an active internet connection if you choose to insert images from the web. Once you choose the Online Pictures option you will have a popup window.
- Here you can choose the category by scrolling through the various options. There is also a search bar to make things easier.
- After choosing the category, you will have another menu with images specific to that category. Simply click on the images to select. You can select more than one image to insert into the document. When you select an image you will have a tick on the right corner.
- If you select an image by mistake and need to undo it simply click on the image again the tick will disappear.
- After selecting the image click on Insert. The insert button will also show the number of images selected.
- Your image will now appear on the document.
Read How to enlarge Microsoft word online
How to edit background images in Word Online for windows?
To edit images added to word follow these steps
- Start by clicking on the image. You will see that the image has white dots along the edges. These can be used to drag and resize the image.
- You will also notice that the Picture format tab becomes available. Under this tab, you will find a number of options to edit the image. This ranges from removing the background to editing the color of the image to other formatting options.
- The formatting tools available can be used to edit the picture.
- The Position tab has various options on where you can place the image. If you are not happy with the current position you can alter the layout using options from this menu.
- After you are satisfied with the way your picture looks and are happy with the position or layout click on Wrap text.
- Using this you can send the image to the back. This way your image remains in the background while you add content to the document.
- Your document will look something like this once you have text. The picture will not come in the way of or move while you type in the content.
Check out How to change language in word online
How do you put a different background on each page in Word Online?
The second option when it comes to adding a background to Word Online document is by using the design tab. Here are the steps you need to follow
- Start by accessing the document you would like to edit.
- Click on the Design tab on the top ribbon.
- From among the option under design click on Watermark.
- There are various templates to choose from. The templates can easily be edited once you select them. The text on the template can be altered or you can add an image using the custom watermark option.
- To insert a watermark to a specific you need to right-click on the template and select ‘Insert at current document position’. By selecting this option the watermark will show up on the page where your cursor is.
- To edit the watermark double click on the top of the page near the header. Along with header and footer editing options, the watermark will have dots and arrows around it.
- You can use these to change the size and edit the text.
- Other than this the ‘custom watermark’ option can be used to add images to the page.
- Once you select the image and add it to the page select it and save the selection to the gallery.
- You can then use this as a template to add to specific pages.
Read How to delete a document in word online?
How do you put a different background on each page in Word for Mac?
On mac devices here are the steps you can follow to add watermarks to specific pages.
- Select the document that needs to be edited. You can choose documents saved locally or those from the One Drive folder.
- Open the document and click on the Insert tab in the top ribbon.
- Under Insert, you will see various options of things that can be added to the document. From among those select Pictures.
- You will then have a choice between choosing an image from the computer or from over the net.
- If you need images saved on the computer, you will need to browse through the various folders and click on Insert. Pictures from the net will require specific keywords.
- Once the picture is inserted, it can be edited and moved around in the document.
- Now click on the Text Wrap tool and select ‘behind text’.
- By doing this your image will be sent to the background and the text in the document will lay over it.
Adding a watermark in Mac devices using the design tab
The second method that can be used is selecting a watermark from the design menu. Here are the steps to follow.
- Once you have the document that needs to be edited click on the Design tab.
- On the extreme right, you will find the watermark option. Click on it for the dropdown menu.
- Choose from the templates available.
- You can right-click on the template and add it to a specific spot in your document.
- Templates can be edited by double-clicking the header section on the page. The watermark will be surrounded by dots and arrows indicating that it can be edited.
- You can also add customized watermarks using the custom watermark option.
you can start by adding it to all the pages. Then save the image as a template in the watermark gallery and finally use it on specific pages.
Read How to select words in word online
Insert a background image in Word on an Android device
With the advancement in technology, there is so much you can do from your phone. Working on documents for instance has become so simpler and more convenient. You can review, edit and send documents with ease.
Here is how you can add a background image to documents using a phone.
- Start by opening the document you would like to add the background image to. Download the Word application on your android device and log in to your one drive account to access all the files on the drive.
- Once you have the document open select edit.
- You will now be able to edit the document. Tap on the Edit option for the menu at the bottom.
- At the bottom, you will see Home. Tap on the arrow near home for more options.
- Select Insert. You will then have various options to choose from.
- Tap on and select Pictures.
- Under Pictures, you will have an option to select an image from your phone or take a new image.
- If you choose to insert images saved on your phone you will need to go through the folders in your phone and choose an image.
- We selected the second option where you can add an image by taking a picture.
- Once selected you will need to give the application permission to access the camera.
- Capture the image that you would like to add.
- You can move the borders once the picture is taken.
- Just before you insert the image into the document you will be able to crop, rotate and delete the image.
- Select Done if you are satisfied with the image and would like to add it to the document.
Read How to add columns in word online?
How to edit background images on android devices
- Once the image is inserted into the document you can use the tabs on the side to alter the size. you can also use the editing options available at the bottom of the screen.
- These include cropping the image, touching it up, adding more images, and most importantly the Wrap Text option.
- The Wrap Text option is used to create the watermark effect. Select it by tapping on it.
- In the text wrap menu, you will have various options, from among those choose Behind text. This way the image will remain in the background while you add text to the document.
After using the text wrap option the text added to the document will show over the image.
Read How to make an online form in Word
How to add different background on each page in Word on iOS devices?
On iOS devices here is how you can add a background to the Word document you are working on.
- Start by accessing the word document from the Word application. The application can easily be downloaded from the store. All you need to do is log in using your one-drive email and password. You will have access to all the word documents saved on the drive.
- Once you have access to the files open the word document you would like to work on.
- Tap and select edit to make changes to the document
- Select the edit option for the menu
- You will now have the home menu on the bottom of your screen. Tap on home for other options.
- From the options available select Insert.
- Under Insert select Pictures. Here you will have two options, you can add pictures from your device or take a fresh picture.
- Choose the option that fits you best. You will have the folders in your phone displayed if you choose the ‘this device’ option. You can then scan through all the folders and select the picture you would like to add.
- If you choose to take a fresh picture, you will need to allow the program to use your camera. Once the permission is given you will be able to take the picture.
- Once you select the image or take a fresh one, select Done to insert the image into the document.
- The image can then be edited as per your preferences using the editing tools available.
- After editing tap and select the text wrapping option
- Select Behind text from the options available
- Your image will not be in the background and the text you enter will show in front of or over the image.
In this article, we have seen that there are ways in which you can add an image as a background in Word. Though word online had limited options you can easily insert an image and format it. The desktop version, however, has more formatting options. You also have two ways to add a background image to the document.
Here is an overview of the topics covered in this tutorial.
- Steps on adding and editing background images in word online
- How to add a different image as a background to every page of a Word document on windows and mac devices
- How to add a watermark to a specific page on windows and mac devices.
- Adding and editing background images to Word on Android and iOS devices.
Hope you found this article helpful. Check out similar articles here
- How to track changes in word online?
- Steps on how to connect 3 pics into 1 in word online
- How to create columns in word header online
- Understanding how to uncapitalize text in Microsoft word online
- How to check who has access to word online
- How to put citations on word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.