Microsoft Word is the go-to app when it comes to creating and saving documents. Microsoft introduced the .docx extension way back in 2007 and after it has become the most sought-after format. This article attempts at taking you through how to edit a Word document on mac.
If you have the Word application installed on your computer it can be used to create and edit documents. If you do not have Word you can either purchase the Microsoft Office package or use the online version. Other programs like Google Docs, Pages, and LibreOffice can be used to edit Word documents on Mac. We suggest you use Word online.
How to edit a Word document on mac?
If you have installed the Word application on your Mac system here are the steps you can follow to edit a document.
Use the Finder application on your system to locate and open the file. Here is how it’s done
- Click on and open finder from the docket
- Use the search bar to look for the word document you would like to edit.
- If you know the folder the document is saved in you can go to the folder directly.
- Double-click on the document to open it.
Another way to open a word document on Mac is by opening the Word application. Here is how it’s done.
- Go to Launchpad in the docket
- You will now have a list of all the applications on your device.
- Scroll through the list
- You will find Word, Click on it to open.
- Once you have the application open you can search the specific document from the word home page.
Once you have the document open you can edit it by using the tools in the top ribbon.
- Click on the tab that you would like to go to. For example, you can click on Home in the top ribbon if you need to edit the font style, size, color, or text orientation.
- So after you click on the main tab you can choose the various formatting options from under it.
Keyboard shortcuts to edit a word document in Word
Apart from using the top ribbon, you can also use keyboard shortcuts to get the job done faster.
Check out this article on keyboard shortcuts to get a detailed list of keyboard shortcuts you can use. Here are the most common shortcuts.
- Copy selected text – Command + C
- Past Copied text – Command + V
- Cut the selected text – Command + X
- Save a document – Command + S
- Create a new document – Command + N
- Select everything in a document – Command + A
- To print a document – Commabd + P
How to edit Word document on mac without Word
It’s okay if you haven’t purchased the Microsoft office bundle. Here are a few alternatives you can use.
Use Microsoft Word online to edit word documents
Word Online is part of Microsoft office online. This unlike the application is absolutely free. To use word online all you need to do is create an outlook account and use it to sign into Office online. Here are the steps you can follow to edit a document using word online.
- Create an Office OUse Microsoft Word online to edit word documents online account
- Go to one drive.com and login
- Once you log in to one drive you will need to upload the word file you need to edit.
- There are two ways of uploading a file you can either drag and drop the file into word online Or use the Upload option.
- Click on upload and select files
- You will now need to choose the folder from where the file needs to be uploaded.
- After the file is uploaded it will show in one drive
- Double-click on the word document to open
- It will open in word online in a new tab.
- You can make the desired changes using the options in the top ribbon of Word online. Once you have finished editing save the document using the Save As option in the file menu.
- You can choose the desired location on your computer to save the document.
If you need to edit files on the go you can use Word online on Tabs and mobile devices. For this, all you need to do is download the word application on the phone.
Sign in to your account and open the document. You then make changes to the document and save it on the cloud. These documents can be retrieved at any time.
Use Libre Office to edit word documents
LibreOffice is a free office suite. This open-source office suit can be downloaded in a few simple steps. LibreOffice is easy to use and is considered to be the best alternative for Microsoft office. The Libre Writer can be used to edit word documents. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Download Libre office. For this, you will need to go to their official website libreoffice.org/download/download/
- Specify mac os and click on Download
- Now follow the instructions and install it on your computer.
- Once you have the application downloaded and installed close it.
- Now go to the folder where the Word application is saved on the computer.
- Right-click on the document
- Select Open With
- Click on LibreOffice Writer.
- You can also Tick the box next to Always use this app to open .docx files.
- Click on OK
- Your word document will now open in Writer. Make the changes.
- Save the document before you close. Use the keyboard shortcut Command + S or Go to Save in the File menu.
Use Zoho Writer to edit word documents
Zoho Writer is a tried and tested web service that can be used to edit word documents. You will need to create an account using google, yahoo, or Facebook. Zoho uses a basic word processor and hence it is easy to use. Here is how it’s done.
- Go to writer.zoha.com and signup
- On the home page, you will see File in the top section
- Click on File for a dropdown menu
- Select Upload document.
- You can either drag and drop the file or select it by browsing the computer.
- Once the file is in the box click on Upload
- Click on and select Open now
- You can now view and edit the document
- Once done go to File and select Save as
Zoho Writer is available as a mobile application and can be used to edit files on the go.
Word is a great tool when it comes to creating and editing documents on Mac. Word is part of the Microsoft Office package and it can get expensive. Hence, using Word online is a great option. Word online saves all your files on the cloud making it convenient to access files on the go. Word online is the best option as it can be used on phones and tablets.
Hope you found this article useful. Check out similar articles here:
- How to show word online adjustment bar
- How do you eliminate extra spacing in word online
- Difference between word online and word
- How do you delete a word document on mac
- How to add a horizontal line in word online
My name is Carissa Gudino and I am an expert in word online, using Word Online in my day-to-day tasks. In this blog, I will share with you tips and tutorials on how to use word online to its fullest potential. I work for various clients in various countries like the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. My tutorials are designed to help beginners, as well as more experienced users, learn new tricks and tips on Microsoft word online. Check out more.